Chapter 1: A Boy and His Cat

"That should be the last of it." You sigh and wipe your brow as you finish unpacking. It had been about a year since your parents passed away, and you decided it was time to stop crying. During the past year you and your brother, Kota, had been living with your aunt and the other Pussycats. However, Kota didn't want anything to do with you. He was too young to understand your parents death, and he ended up hating quirks and everyone who uses them. You on the other hand, were inspired by your parents' final moments. You had already wanted to be a hero before they passed away, but their resolve to protect everyone even if it meant dying made you want to become an even stronger hero than them. You decided you would get into UA, and become a hero who always comes out on top and makes everyone smile.

When you first brought it up, the Pussycats were elated. They trained with you and helped you master your quirk. Kota hated that. You soon mastered your ice powers, but struggled with changing and controlling the state of it for too long. The water was difficult for you to control, as you had to be careful with the pressure, and keeping the temperature hot was pretty difficult aside from using it for cooking.

One night after you finished training, Kota couldn't stand it anymore. He lashed out at you, and said you didn't care at all about their death. You realized how hard it must be for him to watch you train all day, so here you are now.

Using funds from their hero work, the Pussycats bought you a nice apartment within walking distance of UA. From here on out, you were living alone. You sigh.

"It's too quiet here, and it's so empty. What am I even supposed to do all day?" You were homeschooled while staying with the Pussycats, and you finished all of your junior high work before moving. It was part of the deal you had made with your aunt.

"I'd better go buy some groceries before it gets late." Your small fridge was empty. Not much was in the apartment either. Just your bed, a smaller than average fridge, the couch from your parent's house, a toaster, an oven, a microwave, a desk, a dresser, and a lamp along with a few boxes and your closet.

"I should probably shower first, so I don't stink. Now where did I put my bathroom stuff...?" Once you find your shower things you hop in and wash your body off. When you get out, you get dressed and throw on your shoes. Shoving your keys, phone, and wallet into your bag, you lock the door and head out. It was about 3pm so you had plenty of time to get to the store.

"Alrighty, so let's see... I need to get enough food for the next two weeks, but I only have $50... I can't buy any junk food because I need to focus on staying in shape for the entrance exam... I'll need to find a gym or something to train at too..." The store soon comes into sight, and you get everything you need.

As you're walking home, you see a purple haired boy standing under a tree. He seems to be trying to get a cat down from the branches above. How it got up there, you have no idea. You decide to walk over and see if he needs any help.

"Oh come on you stupid cat, get down before you hurt yourself." He groans.

"Need some help?" You chuckle as you walk up. He turns towards you and looks a little embarrassed.

"I'm not sure what's gotten into her. She doesn't usually climb trees." He sighs. "Do you have a stretching quirk or something?"

"No, ice. Give me one second and I can get her down no problem." You set down your bags and walk over to the tree. "Hey kitty kitty~"

Using your ice, you slowly raise yourself up to the branch. You make sure not to go too fast, so you don't scare the cat. She looks a little wary of you, but still lets you pick her up. "There there, I've got you."

You melt the ice to lower yourself to the ground, and hand her to the boy. She immediately scratches him. "Ouch! What was that for?!"

You chuckle at the two of them and the boy introduces himself. "Thanks for getting my cat down. My name's Shinsou Hitoshi." You smile back at him.

"Nice to meet you, Shinsou. I'm Y/n, and I just moved in a few streets down today." Picking up your bags you smile at him.

"Oh cool, what school are you going to?" He asks.

"I was home schooled, so I'm all done school. I finished early so I'd have lots of time to prepare for the UA entrance exams." You tell him.

"You're trying out for UA?"

"Yep! What about you? What school are you trying to get into?"

"I was actually going to try out for UA, too." He scratches his cheek.

"That's great! I hope we both get in!" You give him a big smile.

"Well with an ice quirk like that I bet you'll get in no doubt." He gives you an awkward chuckle.

"What's your quirk, Shinsou?" He looks even more uncomfortable now.

'Should I tell her?' Shinsou thinks to himself. 'I don't want to scare her off...'

"If you're not cool with telling me, that's okay." Smiling you reach and pet his cat. You didn't want him to be uncomfortable.

'So close!' He thinks. "Ah, it's just that a lot of people get freaked out about my quirk..." You give him a curious look. "I can... control people with my mind..."

"Woah! That's so cool! You could stop so many villains with a quirk like that! You could stop the fight before it's even begun!" Not expecting you to say that, Shinsou gets flusted. It didn't help how close you were either.

"W-wait you don't think... It's villainous?" He asks nervously.

"Well any quirk could be used for bad. Mine could be used for bad if I wanted to, just like how if you wanted to you would have already controlled my mind or whatever." You smile at him again.

He looks taken aback at your answer, and smiles back at you. "You're the first person to tell me something like that. Most people think my quirk suits the role of a villain more, so thanks for thinking better of me than that."

"Geez, those people sound like assholes! Don't worry, I'm sure you'll show them someday!" You tell him.

Shinsou thanks you again and checks the time. "Ah shit I have to get back home!"

"Oh before you go, do you want to exchange numbers, so we can keep in touch? I could use a friend."

"Sure." Shinsou blushes a little as the two of you exchange phones, but you don't notice.

"Alright! I'll text you later then! Maybe we can train together sometime!" Shinsou smiles at your enthusiasm.

"That'd be cool. See you sometime." You give his cat one last pat before he turns and walks down the street with a smile and wave. Happy with yourself for already making a friend, you make your way back home with a small skip in your step.

When you get home, you unpack all of your groceries and put them away. "Hmm... I should look up the gyms in the area before I make dinner..." Taking out your laptop, you google gyms and quickly find one that looks good. They have a huge pool and rooms for quirk training, too. You also find that there's a beach that's not too long of a bike ride away.

"Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow... Better make dinner now, so I can call Auntie before bed..." With that you get up and make dinner. Once you're done eating, you call your aunt and talk to her and the other Pussycats for a bit, then head to bed early to get rest for tomorrow.