Chapter 6: First Task

Working hours are set between 7:00 and 15:30, so it is the standard 8 hours shift as in many other countries. But our company is also different from many companies in Japan. The main rule is to not work overtime. When the time to go home comes, people just had to stop working and go home - tomorrow is also a day.

„Good Morning."

I greeted everyone in our economics department when I arrived and others replied to me. Except the head accountant I have also a few other co-workers here. My working place is in a room with other accountants. In total we are 5 people here, the head accountant included. But we are not the only ones working here... people related to sales have also their own room next to us... and also a secretary and a chief of the department.

Look at these records. There is an error somewhere in them. Your task is to find it and correct it. Deadline is today."

„Sure. I will do my best."

The head accountant dropped me a pile of papers on my desk and ordered me to process them. Finally I got my first real task. But looking for an error is my worst nightmare, because it is impossible to imagine how long that can take. It can be done in few minutes or in days and there is also that deadline...

(Why?)

(Is it really a task or are they just testing me?)

It doesn't matter. I need to process it fast and go home...

Main door is set to auto-lock, so just don't forget to turn the lights off when you leave."

I was notified by one of my colleagues when she left. Yeah... it is the time to go home and I am still here searching for that error.

Door is set to auto-lock and so I don't need to lock it myself. It can be temporarily unlocked from inside and when the automatic system closes it behind me, it gets locked again.

Ahh... I just don't see any errors here! Shall I just go home and fail to complete the task or stay here and break the rule? It is a hard decision.

I decided to stay.

Another hour passed and my situation is still the same.

Suddenly I heard some noise coming from the main door.

(Someone tries to break in.)

(Great! It's my first day and I will die in hands of burglars.)

And so I hid under my desk.

(No! I need to turn off lights first!)

I got out and made the room dark. But before I was able to return to my hideout, someone's steps approached the door.

A person stopped just behind it.

(I have to hurry and hide!)

(Ouch! My head hurts... again!)

The last thing I remember is that I tried to run back into my hideout and then nothing.

My head really hurts.

Sudden bright light lid the room and I spotted... lady Anne.

„Lady Anne?!"

That was all I managed to say before I lost consciousness...

I got back to my senses in a bed... lady Anne was sitting next to me and talking, but I didn't understand her.

Eh... lady Anne... I see. So it is just another illusion. I had to trip and hit my head pretty badly and now I am just lying there next to my desk and dreaming about lady Anne.

(If only I could see my beloved lady Anne in real life and not just in dreams...)

I say beloved, but I am not in love with her romantically. I am not... that kind of girl... she is just a lady I admired for her kind and humble soul and beauty. I just wanted to make her happy in game, but it was not possible.

Now I can only dream about her.

(Ouch! My head really hurts.)

I tried to open eyes, but they closed on their own again...

...

(Finally! I managed to open them.)

The room is still bright, but looks quite differently and also familiar.

Like that one hospital room, where I was not long time ago.

I was right. It is the same room. Or maybe not exactly the same, but one of those standard rooms in hospitals.

Lady Anne is gone. In her place stands a nurse and tells me something. I need to focus...

kano-san!"

Nakano-san? Are you awake?"

(Am I?)

(How can I know whether I really am or it is just a dream?)

„I am not sure."

You are. That is good. Do you know what is your first name and how old are you?"

„Arisa... 22 years old."

Good. You will be fine."

„Thanks."

Thank the woman, who brought you here. Here... she left a letter for you."

„Letter?"

She handed me a letter and I opened it...

(Take a day off tomorrow.)"

That was all what was written in it.

My first day was just the worst. Not only that I failed to finish my task, broke the most important rule, but also got injured and will be missing in work the next day.

(Who was that woman? Probably just someone from our company returned for whatever reason and I just stupidly hurt myself because of it.)

(I am just my father's stupid llama... No! I am not! It was just one bad day. Tomorrow I will shine!)

I mean... the day after tomorrow.