CHAPTER 79

It was a cloudy morning in Vrindavan. Krishna and Balram gazed out at the village bustling with activity. The sky was painted with hues of grey, and the cool breeze carried the scent of impending rain. As they watched, they noticed that all the villagers seemed to be gathered near the sacred grove, where a yagna was being prepared.

The rhythmic chants of the priests filled the air, while colorful decorations adorned the area, creating a festive atmosphere. The Gopas of Braj had decided to observe the festival of Indra, to honour him, for he had showered abundant rain this season.

"Yeh Shakra ka tyohar kyu manaya jaa raha hai ?" Krishna inquired curiously.

An elder gopa replied, "Vats, Indra devtao ke Raja hai, 14 Loko ke rakshak hai. Woh megho ke swami hai, aur unke hi aagya se varsha hoti hai. Indra ke karan hi prithvi par jeevan sambhav hai, unke hi kripa se vanaspati ugti hai, kheto mei fasal ugti hai, jisse daridrata dur hoti hai. Jab Indra prasann hote hai, toh prithvi khil uthti hai, aur sansaar amritmayi ho jata hai. Aur iss varsh Indra ne varsha ka hum sabhi ko tript kiya hai. Iss liye unke prati apna abhaar vyakt karne hetu hum yeh yagya kar rahe hai."

Although Krishna knew about the powers of Indra, for he was the one who vested those in him, Nandlal, for the welfare of the Braj, said, "Manyavar, hum gopal hai. Humara poshan humari gaiya aur vano se hota hai. Kheti kisano ke liye hai, vyapaar udyogpatiyo ke liye. Uss hi tarah gau aur van, humare liye sarvoch hai. Yadi vyakti fal ek se le, kintu gun-gaan kisi dusre ka kare, toh uska durbhagya dugna ho jata hai, iss lok mei aur parlok mei."

The words of Krishna, had attracted a bunch of listeners, men and women, old and young alike got drawn to him, and listened to what he was saying.

"Tum kehna kya chaahte ho ?" The elder gopa asked.

Krishna smiled, "Yahi, ki hume uska pujan karna chahiye jo humara poshan karte hai. Hum Gopalo aur gaiya ke liye parvat aur van jeevan ka adhaar hai. Iss liye, hume Giriyagna karna chahiye. Hume Govardhan ki puja karni chahiye, na ki Indra ki."

Hearing his words which were like divine nectar, the Gopas were delighted, "Krishna tum param-gyaani ho. Tumse bada humara hiteshi koi nahi. Hum awashya Giriyagna karenge."

Unanimously agreeing to Krishna's proposal, the cowherd folks immediately left the yagna of Indra halfway and began preparations for Giriyagna. The cows were decorated with autumn flowers, they were milked in herd and arrangements were made for circumambulation of Govardhan. Offerings of food, flowers, and sacrificial animals were prepared.

With Nand at their forefront, the Gopas commenced the sacrifice by placing kindling on the fire. With brahmanas, the gopas performed the sacrifice near the Govardhan mountain. The sound of mantras and hymns echoed through the lush green surroundings of Vrindavan. The atmosphere was charged with devotion and reverence as the Gopas made offerings to the sacred fire, seeking blessings for prosperity and protection.

Hearing the news of Giriyagna, the people of Barsana also came to joing the festivities, so did Radha with her parents and friends.

Krishna used his Maya, and manifested himself in Govardhan, and as the mountain, he said to the Gopas, "Mai tum sabse prasann hu."

The gopas were astounded at the sight of the divinity astride the supreme mountain. Everyone bowed down to Govardhan and worshiped him. It was ironic how Krishna was bowing down to himself and worshiping himself only.

The Gopas said, "Prabhu, hum aapke sevak hai. Batayiye, aapki kya sewa kare ?"

"Yadi tum sab, sacche hridaye se meri Puja karoge, aradhna karoge, toh mai tumhare prati mangalmaye rahunga, aur tumhari sabhi manokamnaye purn karunga." Govardhan replied.

As a token of worship, the innumerable herds of cows and thousands of bulls
circumambulated the supreme mountain. Milk-yielding cows and calves were adorned with garlands and anklets. There were hundreds and thousands of cattle with garlands on their horns. They were followed by a thick crowd of cowherds, smeared with unguents on their limbs and attired in red, yellow and white garments.

However in Swarglok, Indra was filled with anger and indignation. The thunder rumbled ominously outside the heavenly court, echoing the rage that burned within his heart. The Gopas had stopped his yagna midway, not even bothering to finish it properly first.

In a booming voice that reverberated throughout the heavens, Indra commanded, "Samvartak Megh ! Yadi mujhe prasann karna chaahte ho toh mere prati apni nishtha dikhao ! Damodar ke baato mei aa Nand aur anya Gop-jano ne mera yagna bich mei chhod uska apmaan kiya hai ! Gopalo ka jeevan unki gaae hai, aisi varsha karo ki unka naash ho jaaye !"

Indra's rage knew no bounds as he saw the act of Gopas as a direct challenge to his authority and a grave disrespect to his divine power. The heavens themselves seemed to tremble at the force of his fury, and dark clouds gathered ominously overhead, ready to unleash their wrath upon the earth.

"Mai vajra ke samaan varsha se inn sabhi ka annt kardunga !" He proclaimed.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

In Harivamsha, Krishna doesn't stop Indra's yagya to break his ego or something, infact he does this because -

He's basically saying worship that which gives you sustenance, and for Gopas it's Govardhan parvat.

And Indra on the other hand is not angry because they chose to worship Govardhan, but because his sacrifice was stopped midway and not finished.