CHAPTER 92

The Gopis, with their heads hanging down and their heavy, sorrowful breathing drying up their reddened lips, scratched the ground with their toes. Tears flowed from their eyes, carrying their kohl and washing away the vermilion smeared on their chest. Thus they stood, silently bearing the burden of their unhappiness.

They felt that if Krishna has not been conquered by their love, then that love must not be genuine. And if they cannot properly love him, what is the use of their lives, thinking like so, tears fell from their eyes.

Nonetheless, they remained unflinching in their attachment to him. They will not allow him to reject them. Stopping their crying, they wiped their eyes and began to speak, their voices stammering with agitation, "Krishna, t-tumhe aise k-krur shabdo ka prayog humare prati nahi karna chahiye. Humne tumhare liye lok, laaj, mariyada, sansaar, sab tyaag diya hai. Ab tum hume mat tyaago."

Radha said in a shaky voice, "Kanha, tumne hume dharm ka gyaan toh dediya. Hum jaante hai ki pati aur parivaar ki sewa karna sarvoch hota hai. Kintu humara maanna hai ki yeh sewa tumhe praapt honi chahiye, kyuki tum hi sabhi jeevo mei vyaapt ho aur hum sabhi ke liye sabse priya."

"Humare parivaar jan toh keval hume kasht dete hai, Krishna. Kripa toh keval tum karte ho. Toh batao, hum tumhe chhod Braj mei kyu jaaye ?" Chandravali said.

"Krishna, yadi tum hume swikaar nahi karoge toh aaj humare prem ki Agni humare tan ko bhasm kardegi." Lalita said.

"Hum sab tumhari daasiya hi toh hai Krishna. Hume aise jaane ko mat kaho. Apne komal haath humare sar par rakh do, aur kripa karo." Vishakha said.

Radha took a step forward, "Krishna, Devi Lakshmi Narayan ke vaksh par srivatsa chinh ke roop mei viraajmaan hai. Kintu fir bhi woh, Hari ke charano ki dhul praapt karne hetu apna sthaan chhod uss renu ke liye unke charano mei baith jaati hai. Hum sab bhi tumhari uss hi charan-renu ke abhilaashi hai." She said joining her hands.

"Ha Krishna. Hum punyaloko ke praapti hetu tumhare paas nahi aaye hai. Hum toh keval tumhari sewa karne aaye hai." The Gopis emphasised.

Their despondent words were a reflection of their selfless nature. They didn't desire higher lokas, or salvation. All they desired was rendering service to him, who they, with all their hearts and minds, had considered them their lord and lover.

The smile on Krishna's face only widened seeing how pure the hearts of these maidens were. He said, "Ab bhakto ko mai 'na' kaise bol sakta hu ?"

Overwhelmed with joy and relief, the Gopis' faces beamed with happiness as tears of gratitude streamed down their cheeks. In a rush of ecstatic emotions, Radha and the Gopis ran towards Krishna, their hearts overflowing with love. With tear-streaked faces and trembling hands, they embraced him tightly, feeling the warmth of his embrace offering solace and reassurance.

Although Krishna is a lord who is always self-satisfied, he mercifully enjoyed with them. Among the assembled Gopis, the infallible he appeared just like the moon surrounded by stars. He, whose activities are so magnanimous, made their faces blossom with his affectionate glances.

To please them, Krishna sang the glories of the autumn moon, the moonshine and the lotus-filled river, his voice ever so melodious and sweet while the Gopis simply sang his name repeatedly and sang his praises.

He went with the Gopis to the bank of the Yamuna, where the sand was cooling and the wind, enlivened by the river’s waves, bore the fragrance of lotuses. There Krishna threw his arms around the Gopis and embraced them. He aroused kaam in the beautiful young ladies by touching their hands, hair, thighs, belts and breasts, by playfully scratching them with his fingernails, and also by joking with them, glancing at them and laughing with them. Just like how a true lover would.

As Krishna reveled in the company of the Gopis beneath the enchanting moonlit sky, he couldn't help but notice a subtle glimmer of pride shining in their eyes. Their expressions seemed to boast of possessing the beloved Krishna as their own, basking in the glory of having the greatest being as their lover. However, this pride weighed heavily on Krishna's heart.

As he gazed upon each of their faces, he saw the pride reflected in their eyes, over their good fortune. But when his eyes met Radha's, there was no hint of pride to be found. Instead, her gaze was filled with pure love and unwavering devotion.

Feeling a deep desire to free the Gopis from their pride and bestow upon them further mercy, Krishna took Radha's hand in his own. In an instant, they vanished from sight.

The other Gopis, lost in the ecstasy of Krishna's presence, remained unaware of his departure at first. But as realization dawned upon them, a wave of sorrow washed over the group.

"Krishna ?"

"Krishna !"

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

जब मैं था तब हरि नहीं, अब हरि हैं मैं नाँहिं।
सब अँधियारा मिटि गया, जब दीपक देख्या माँहि॥
🙏🙏🙏