CHAPTER 91

The aroma of the freshly cooked food mingles with the cool breeze, in the house of Nand. Yashoda and Rohini were lovingly serving steaming plates of freshly cooked rice and vegetables to their beloved sons, Krishna and Balram. The aroma of the savory meal mingled with the crisp night air.

Nand said, "Aaj toh Balram ne akele hi kheti ka sara ka karya kar diya." his eyes reflecting admiration for Balram's tireless efforts.

Yashoda smiled, "Maine bhi Gopiyo ko kehte suna hai ki Balram ko bas hal dedo toh woh sampurn karta ek din mei sampann karde."

"Jai ho Haldhar ki !" Krishna proclaimed, earning a playful nudge from his brother.

Rohini, with a tender smile, runs her fingers through Balram's hair, her eyes brimming with maternal affection. The warm glow of the oil lamps illuminates the scene, casting a soft light on their faces.

"Aur lega, Lalla ?" Yashoda asks Krishna, seeing his empty plate.

He, however, shakes his head, "Nahi Nahi maiya. Aur nahi. Mai sab sone jaayunga." Krishna said.

Yashoda frowned, "Itne jaldi ?"

"Ha... Woh.... Aaj bahut thak gaya hu." Krishna said.

Yashoda nods and smilingly pats his head, "Accha, jaa. Vishram karle."

Krishna grins, "Shubh raatri aap sabko." And quickly runs to his room.

The others continue eating, chatting softly amongst themselves. Their laughter mingled with the rustling of the leaves in the gentle breeze. As they savored each bite of their meal, the fire crackled and danced in the fire pit, casting a warm glow on their faces.

When Yashoda finished her meal, she decided to check up on Krishna before retiring herself. She quietly walks to his room and finds him fast asleep, his peaceful face illuminated by the moonlight streaming through the window. Smiling fondly, she gently covers him with a soft blanket and closes the door gently, not wanting to disturb the sleeping child.

Just as Yashoda left, Krishna's mischievous eyes fluttered open. With a smile, he sat up and slipped out of bed, taking his flute and tucking it on the waistband. Moving like a shadow, he made his way to the window and, with the gracefully disappeared into the night.

Scattered lanterns illuminated the narrow alleys, casting a warm glow on the cobblestone streets. The air was crisp, carrying the scent of fallen leaves and distant temple incense. In the fading light, the residents of Vrindavan were preparing to retire for the night. Some were finishing their last chores, while others were already settling into their homes.

Soon a hauntingly beautiful melody of a flute began to echo through the stillness of the night. It was a sound so enchanting that only the Gopis, could perceive its ethereal presence. The music seemed to weave a spellbinding tapestry of emotions, evoking a sense of longing and divine connection.

Romantic feelings were aroused in their minds, for they recognised the melody which belonged to the captivator of their hearts. He was calling them. They knew for sure he was calling them.

Some of the gopis were milking cows when they heard Krishna's flute. They stopped and went off to meet him. Some left milk curdling on the stove, and others left food burning in the stove.

Some of them were getting dressed, feeding milk to their infants or rendering personal service to their husbands, but they all gave up these duties and went to meet Krishna. Other gopis were taking their evening meals, washing themselves, putting on cosmetics or applying kohl to their eyes. But all the gopis stopped these activities at once and, though their clothes and ornaments were in complete disarray, rushed off to Krishna.

"Kaha jaa rahi ho itne raat ko ?"

"Itni der kahi jana shubh nahi !"

Some of the young Gopis were married, and their husbands tried to stop them. The unmarried girls had to deal with their fathers and brothers and other relatives. Their family members tried to stop them, but Krishna had already stolen their hearts. Enchanted by the sound of His flute, they refused to turn back.

Some of the gopis, however, could not manage to get out of their houses, and instead they remained home with eyes closed, meditating upon Krishna in pure love. Their intense agony burned away all impious karma. By meditating upon him they realized his embrace, and the ecstasy. They then felt exhausted their material piety. Just by thinking of him as their lover and associating with him in that intimate mood, their karmic bondage was nullified and they abandoned their gross material bodies, to become one with Krishna.

In Barsana, Radha suddenly heard the familiar melody and felt an inexplicable tug at her heart. Without a moment's hesitation, she darted out of her home, her eight closest friends trailing behind her. As they ran through the moonlit fields, the music seemed to guide their steps, leading them towards the source of the enchanting flute

So in one way or another, all the Gopis set out to reach Krishna. Together, they made their way through the shadowy paths until they reached the sacred groves. Under the soft moonlight, they beheld Krishna, the eternal enchanter, playing his flute with divine grace.

Sensing their presence, Krishna lowered his flute and opened his lotus eyes. A smile made its a way on his lips as he gazed at the faces of each one of them, with love and adoration.

"Swagat hai, gopiyo. Tum sab aise vichlit hoke aayi ho, Vraj mei sab thik toh hai ? Batao, yaha kyu ana huya ?" He asked in a teasing manner, and said, "Yeh raatri bhayavaye hai. Streeyo ke liye uchit sthaan nahi hai. Tum sab laut jaao."

The Gopis cast sidelong glances at one another, they had arrived after shattering their family responsibilities, their sobriety and shame because his flute dragged them here and now he was asking them why they have come ! And also telling them to return !

Krishna said, "Tumhe Ghar par na paake, tumhare parivaar jan chintit ho uthenge. Tumhe yaha nahi rukna chahiye."

Radha frowned, "Krishna, tum yeh kaisi baate kar rahe ho ? Hum sab toh tumhare prem ke liye yaha aaye hai." She said.

"Oh. Prem toh mujhse sampurn prakriti karti hai, Radhey." He said and then looked at the maidens, especially the married ones, "Vivahit stree ko yadi punyaloko mei jana ho, toh use apne pati ka tyaag nahi karna chahiye. Apne kul ki mariyada ka palan karna chahiye. Aur tum sab mere paas agayi sabko chhod ke ? Mere paas rehbe se meri kripa praapt nahi hoti. Woh keval dhyaan aur bhakti se hoti hai. Iss liye tum sab jaao."

Hearing these unpleasant words spoken by him, the Gopis became morose. Their great hopes were frustrated. The maidens did not know what to do. They considered falling at Krishna’s feet and crying for his mercy, or perhaps remaining aloof and going back to their homes as he said. But they could do neither of these things and so they became anxious.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

Krishna testing 🌝
Notice the arguments he's presenting here are quite valid.

That's what he does, he puts you in the situations of the material world, reminding you of your duties and obligations and he then sees whether you'll still choose him over all that matters 🌝🙏

And if you do, which is the hardest decision for a person tangled in material desires and bonds, then you have passed the test ✨