CHAPTER 70

As Krishna, Balram, and the cowherd boys played the game of seven stones in the meadow, the air was filled with laughter and joy. The sound of the stones hitting each other echoed through the fields as they competed with each other.

Suddenly, amidst the laughter and shouts, Krishna felt a strange pull at his heart. It was as if someone was calling out to him, a desperate plea for help. His playful demeanor faded, and he looked around, searching for the source of the call. In that moment, he noticed that the cows were nowhere to be seen. Panic gripped his heart as he realized that their beloved cows had wandered off in search of more grass and were now in danger.

The cowherd boys, sensing Krishna's unease, followed his gaze and saw the absence of the cows. Fear and sadness clouded their faces as they understood the gravity of the situation. They all felt repentent for having neglected them.

Without a second thought, they sprang into action, determined to find and protect their cherished animals. But they didn't know where to look.

Krishna then pointed to the ground, "Humare Gaaiyo ke padchinh !"

"Iska picha karo !" Balram said.

Following the faint footprints left by the cows, Krishna, Balram, and the cowherd boys raced through the meadow, their hearts filled with worry and determination. They followed the hoofprints, and the blades of grass that the cows had broken while grazing on it.

Krishna called out their names, his voice akin to the rumbling of clouds, "Mangala ! Pingala ! Ganga ! Pisangi ! Manikastani ! Hamsi ! Vamsipriya !"

After a frantic search, they stumbled upon the Munja forest, where the cows were huddled together, panic-stricken and fearful of the encroaching forest fire. As soon as they heard Krishna's voice calling out to them, a wave of relief washed over the cows, and they rushed towards him, seeking his protection and comfort.

Krishna's eyes softened as he gently reassured the cows, his divine presence calming their fears.

"K-Krishna..." The cowherd boys were suddenly stuck with panic, for all directions were now engulfed in a raging forest fire, and there was no way left to escape.

Like a chariot driver, the wind swept the fire onward, and terrible sparks shot in all directions. The great fire extended its tongues of flame toward all moving and nonmoving creatures. Seeing it, the cowherds began fearful and turned to Krishna and Balram.

They cried pitifully, "Krishna ! Humari raksha karo ! Balram ! Humari raksha karo iss Agni se !"

"Apne netra band karlo." Krishna urged, his words cutting through the crackling roar of the fire. 

The boys obeyed, squeezing their eyes shut. Even the cows seemed to understand, they too lowered their heads and closing their eyes as well.

A great roaring filled the air as Krishna opened his mouth wide. The flames wavered, then suddenly changed direction, sucked into Krishna's gaping maw like a great wind. The boys could feel the heat diminishing as Krishna inhaled the raging fire. He swallowed again and again, consuming the entire conflagration.

Finally, all was silent and still. The boys opened their eyes tentatively. The fire was gone. The forest was blackened but no longer burning. Krishna stood serenely among them once more. He had swallowed the gigantic forest fire whole, saving them all.

Tears streamed down the cheeks of the cowherd boys as they knelt before Krishna, their hearts overflowing with reverence for his divine power and love. In that moment, they knew without a doubt that they were in the presence of a being beyond mortal comprehension, they had been blessed with the presence of a god in their life.

"Utho sakhao. Ab Ghar chalte hai." Krishna said softly, his eyes filled with compassion and love. 

With a twinkle in his eyes, he raised the flute to his lips and began to play a melody so enchanting that even the birds in the trees stopped their chirping to listen. Together, they left the charred remains of the forest behind and made their way to Vrindavan.

Krishna and Balram walked ahead, the cowherd boys and the cows followed behind, their hearts filled with a sense of joy and peace. As they made their way through the winding paths, the women of the village, young and old, married and unmarried, alike came out of their homes to catch a glimpse of the divine Krishna. Their eyes sparkled with adoration as they watched him pass by, their hearts filled with love and devotion.

The young girls of the village, in particular, found themselves unable to resist the magnetic charm of Krishna. Their hearts fluttered with excitement as they watched him play his flute, their cheeks flushed with a rosy hue. It seemed as though Krishna had first saved the cowherd boys from the forest fire, and now was saving the maidens from the fire of passion, with his presence.

The young girls, their faces flushed with desire, cast shy glances towards the bewitching figure of Krishna, secretly yearning to capture his gaze and revel in the warmth of his divine love. However, they remained tethered to Earth by the emotions and sensations of their mortal bodies. Krishna, with a knowing glance, understood this as he observed them from the corner of his eye.

Completely detaching from the material world was a challenge that even the most learned sages, who had dedicated their lives to study, could not achieve. Yet, the simple-minded Gopis of Braj possessed something that the sages did not. They had the benevolent gaze of Krishna upon them. What more could they possibly desire? He knew what he needed to do, to make them realise the supreme truth.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

Forest fires happened twice in Vrindavan as per Bhagwatam. It seems as though it was a common natural phenomenon during summers.

Anyway, does anyone know what Krishna plans to do with the Gopis to make them realise the truth ? 🌝