CHAPTER 34

It had been some time, since Balram and Krishna started to take the calves out to graze and tended to them. The air was filled with the sound of birds chirping and the sweet fragrance of the blooming flowers.

As they walked to the banks of the Yamuna, the calves followed them happily, their bells jingling with each step. Both the brothers were dressed in blue and yellow and respectively anointed with white and yellow sandalwood paste. Their handsome faces sported sidelocks.

Their armlets, made from the iridescent feathers of peacocks, shimmered in the sunlight, while their crowns, fashioned from delicate leaves, bestowed upon them an air of regality. Garlands of untamed wildflowers adorned their chests, making them look like blossoming trees. Their headdresses, fashioned from the ethereal petals of lotuses, crowned their heads with an otherworldly elegance. They carried poles with pots slung at both ends.

They found delight in roaming around, playing with their friends, playing flutes to call the calves, cracking jokes and laughing together or sometimes at each other.

But as Krishna and Balram began taking the calves to graze everyday in different forests and fields of Gokul, they realised something was off.

The once lush groves and verdant forests had fallen victim to the hands of the gopas. Trees stood ravaged, their branches stripped bare, and the once vibrant grasslands lay barren and depleted. The very essence of these sacred lands had been mercilessly consumed.

Where dense foliage once thrived, now only an open expanse stretched as far as the eye could see, revealing the vastness of the sky above. The cow pens, once nestled amidst a protective embrace of towering trees, now stood exposed and vulnerable. The radiant sentinels that once guarded these sanctuaries had been reduced to mere fuel for the gopas' insatiable need for firewood.

What was once an infinite source of abundance and vitality had been drained to the point of exhaustion. The very lifeblood of these lands had been depleted, leaving behind a desolate emptiness that echoed with the weight of lost harmony.

Firewood and grass, once readily available nearby, now required arduous journeys to distant places. The forests, once teeming with life, now held only remnants of water and kindling, their very foundation shattered. With the scarcity of trees, finding a place to rest became an ordeal, a terrible plight.

The birds, once finding solace in their branches, had deserted them, leaving the trees devoid of purpose. No happiness lingered in this desolation, no succulent life remained. Even the wind, once a faithful companion, now seemed devoid of purpose, a mere whisper in the void.

"Yeh uchit nahi hai, Dau. Gopjano ne prakriti ka soshan kiya hai." Krishna said to Balram, while the rest of his friends were taking an afternoon nap, under the shed of a tree they found after a long search.

Looking at the flat terrain that once used to be a lush green forest, Balram asked, "Satyavachan Kanha. Parantu iska hal kya hai ?"

"Hal toh ek hi hai Dau. Hume Gokul chhodna padega. Kyuki yadi yaha rahe toh gaaye upyukt dugdh nahi degi. Aur aise mei sabhi ka swasthya bigad sakta hai." Krishna said.

"Hum kaha jaayenge ?" Balram asked.

Krishna smiled, "Yamuna tat ke paas hi ek aur sthaan hai. Vrindavan naam hai aur waha fal, phool, aur pedo ki koi kami nahi. Aur Vrindavan se kuch hi dur, Mandaar parvat ke samaan Govardhan parvat bhi hai. Waha se Gopo ko apne sabhi awashyakta ki vastuye mil jaayengi. Yamuna waha Kalindi naam se behti hai, bicho bich, aur aisi lagti hai jaise suhaagan stree ki maang."

"Tum uchit keh rahe ho. Hume ab Vrindavan jaa ke, apna vraj wahi basana padega. Parantu yeh kaise hoga ?" Balram asked.

Krishna's face grew serious, "Manav ne apne laalsa se prakriti ka shoshan kiya hai, ab prakriti pratikaar karegi."

With these words, he closed his eyes, immersing himself in deep concentration. Suddenly, ferocious wolves emerged from Krishna's very body. Some prowled in packs of five, while others formed groups of ten, twenty, thirty, and even a hundred. These wolves bore the sacred srivatsa mark on their bodies, their visage as dark as the night.

Balram was shocked seeing them, "Yeh sab kyu Kanha !?"

Opening his eyes, Krishna explained, "Iss sansaar mei maine mansahaari pashu iss liye utpann kiye hain, jisse shakahari pashu vanaspati ko ujaad na de. Yahi woh chakra hai jisse prithvi par jeevan sambhav hai. Issi se santulan sthaapit hota hai."

Balram, still perplexed, questioned, "Kintu, kya Gop humare priyajan nahi?"

"Awashya hai." Krishna's gaze softened as he replied, but then again became determined, "Parantu karmfal se koi bach nahi sakta, Dau. Apraadh kiya hai, toh dand milega."

And so, the formidable wolves dispersed in every direction, their mission clear - to restore the delicate balance of nature.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

Wolves coming out of Krishna's body and terrorising Gopas is mentioned in Harivamsha... And the reason why I'm taking this reason to leave for Vrindavan is because this act of Krishna, is something that Krishna from Mahabharat will do.... Taking a harsh step for the greater good.

And the reason why Krishna released wolves was that cows were in lakhs in Gokul, they had overgrazed the fields, so to bring a balance and allow nature to regenerate, carnivores were necessary. This will not only save the plant kingdom, but will also bring the birds back, along with other species who had left previously.

Also this is seen in many places in our times where herbivores have destroyed a forest, and then wolves have been released and they have perfectly restored that ecosystem.

Just check this video out -

The best example of wolves restoring the ecosystem.

I remember one forest officer saying that to know whether an ecosystem is balanced or not, they check if there is an apex predator in that area. If there is, then all the native species shall thrive there. Therefore the balance between predator and prey is a must.

It's just so fascinating, that Krishna has showed it to us, thousands of years ago 😍🙏✨