Chapter 44: End of the line

Time for Pierce to get his." Tony said.

"Can't wait." Pepper said too.

At the facility, the launch sequence was final. One of the young tech guys said they were go on guidance.

"Cameron." Fury said.

"Who is he?" Scott asked.

"A very loyal agent who listened to Cap's speech in here." Hill said.

Pierce and the other Council members walked together as Pierce inquired about Hawley's flight and she said it was lovely but the ride from the airport less so. Pierce said sadly SHIELD couldn't control everything and Rockwell added Captain America to the list. A man brought a box with pinned badges and Pierce gave them to the other members, saying the facility was biometrically controlled and those would give them unrestricted access.

"And it would give you unrestricted access to their life." Natasha snarled.

"What?" Hope asked.

"Just watch." Fury said.

In the control room, two tech guys were talking when their comms had static.

"Is it just me or does this guy look like Abel?" Peter asked.

"He does look like Abel." Aunt May said. [1]

'Abel' went to check it out but when he opened the door, Sam and Hill were pointing guns at him and Steve walked in, asking him to excuse them. He did and pointed them to the right direction.

"Poor Abel." Benjamin joked.

With under 2 minutes left till the launch, Pierce said to the other Council members that the road hadn't exactly been smooth and some of them would have gladly kicked him out on the way but now here they were and the world should be grateful. He raised his glass and the others did too.

"Here it comes." Sam said.

Steve's voice was heard, "Attention all S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, this is Steve Rogers. " As all the agents, including Sharon and Cameron listened, he continued, "You've heard a lot about me over the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader." The other Council members glared at Pierce who smirked as Steve continued, "The S.T.R.I.K.E. and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you." Some people actually looked at the ones next to them while Pierce typed on his phone as Steve continued, "They almost have what they want. Absolute control. They shot Nick Fury. And it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them." Two guards were inspired by Steve's speech and tried to stop the Insight crew but were shot down as Steve continued, "I know I'm asking a lot. But the price of freedom is high. It always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it." Hill glanced over at Steve as he finished, "But I'm willing to bet I'm not." Sam walked up to Steve and asked, "Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?"

"Off the top of my head." Steve said.

"You're really good at that." Scott told Steve.