Chapter 67: zemo's plan

I think the bad stuff is gonna happen really soon." Sam said.

"Because it is, bub." Logan said.

In London a few days later, the funeral for Peggy was taking place in a church; the choir was singing as the pall bearers brought in the casket. Steve was one of the pall bearers and tears were visible on his face. Later, everyone was seated and the Priest allowed Sharon Carter to give the eulogy. Sharon stepped up to the podium and Sam elbowed Steve, who had been lost in thoughts. Steve looked up at the podium and was shocked to see Sharon.

"I think this is getting really awkward." Peter muttered.

"I didn't even know they were related till now." Steve said.

Sharon gave the eulogy, "Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D... but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related. I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage... in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. She said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move... it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree... look them in the eye and say "No, you move."" Steve had a look of determination on his face now, deciding not to sign.

"She was a great woman." Scott said and everyone nodded.

"So, no signing now I guess." Hope said.

"No." Steve said.

"I don't think so." Bucky said at the same time.

After the funeral, Steve was standing alone in the church, looking at a picture of Peggy as Natasha walked up to him. Steve remembered finding out Peggy was still alive after coming out of the ice. He said he was lucky to get her back and Natasha pointed out Peggy got him back to. Steve sighed, asking who'd signed The Accords. Natasha said Tony, Rhodey and Vision have. Clint said he was retired and Wanda hadn't made up her mind.

"Anyone thinking of Accords reforms?" Rhodes asked.

"I am." Natasha said.

"I believe they can be reformed to something you truly wanted, Mr. Stark." T'Challa told Tony who nodded.

"And this time both sides decide the clauses of the Accords." Tony said and more nods followed.

"Then it will be a compromise." Hill said.

Natasha said they need to stay together but Steve won't give up his free will to do it. Natasha knew this, making a confused Steve ask why she's there. She said she didn't want him to be alone before she hugged him, comforting him as he broke down.

Steve looked over at Natasha a grateful look on his face. Words failed him as he tried to express how grateful he was for her support. But he didn't need to say anything; the look she shot him said she understood.

"That's what friends are for." Bucky muttered and they both smiled with him.

In Vienna later that day, reporters crowded around the building. T'Challa was watching from the window.