We Belong Together (Imagine for Rachel)

Across from your house, was the O'Brien household. A nice family, with a very nice son. One that you couldn't ever get off your mind. He goes to your school, you see him in the halls everyday, but you've never said hello. You both have the same bus stop, he used to ride it, but he drives to school now. Your parent's are friends, but he's still never noticed you much. Your window and his window are straight across from each other's, but you've never made eye contact with him through it. He's always had his curtain closed.

"Darling you'll be late for the game tonight!" Your mom yelled and you let out a frustrated sigh before getting into your band uniform and grabbing your instrument. You hated playing in the bleachers at the football games, you liked marching better. But you still did it, that way you could catch a glimpse of Dylan playing. And maybe, just maybe, he'd catch a quick glimpse of you.

"I'm coming mom, hold on!" You said as you pinned back your long brown hair. You looked at yourself in your bathroom mirror, your brown eyes were seemed to be darker for some reason, you didn't know why though. You never considered yourself as beautiful, but you didn't think you were ugly. You were neutral, and you were happy about being the way you were. But a little bit of you wished you could be different, just so you could catch Dylan's attention, just once.

You were invisible to him, though, and you never expected that to change.

____________

"Just one more touchdown and we win this game!" Evan cheered as he sat next to you on the bleachers. You tried not to roll your eyes and nodded your head as if you cared. "Be preppy for once in your life, Rachel, this could get us to state!" He yelled and people around him cheered. A single strand of brown hair flew out of place and you quickly tucked it behind your ear.

"I hate football games." You stated as your eyes stayed on the football field, searching the players. You gave up as you looked back to your over-excited friend. His blonde hair was pulled back, styled in a quiff on his head and his green eyes were lit up with something you couldn't recognize. He was cute, you had to admit, but he was also too focused on his future to be bothered with wanting to date in high school. That's why whenever you would bring up Dylan, he would ignore everything you say and pretend that he cared about your problems.

He grabbed your chin gently and turned your face toward his. "Don't say that. You're crush is out there giving this game all he's got." He said not particularly quiet. You felt your face heat up as some girls were giving you curious glances and slapped his hand away.

"I don't have any crush." You said more so the girls who were eavesdropping on your conversations would leave you be.

"Well, should we tell that to Mr Quarter-"

"Evan, shut the hell up!" You screamed, earning glances from all around you. Even some from down in the field. You swallowed and leaned back to hide your face from the players who stood on the field waiting for the quarter to start. You heard Evan let out a small chuckle and you punched him in the arm, angrily.

As everyone went back to watching the game, your eyes roamed the field and landed on Dylan. He wasn't looking at you, but at the girl who he's had his eyes on for about a month now. She was beautiful, and apparently everything Dylan wanted this month.

He was a player, but for some reason you forgot that when he was on your mind.

Evan put his arm around your shoulders and brought you into his side and you laid your head on his shoulder, watching the rest of the game with a frown.

Everyone headed back into the high school around the five minute mark and you were the last in the room. You opened your instrument case and set you instrument inside. "Anyone still here?" A male voice called out from the hallway, there was a small light illuminating the room you were in giving you enough light to make sure you put your instrument in the right place. Footsteps came closer to you, and you stood up, a little afraid to see who would be coming into the band room. Everyone else was gone, the game had ended.

"Hello?" The voice came closer, you froze as you waited to see who was going to walk through the doorway. As the light was only shining on you, you couldn't really see the boy's face. But he could see you. "Sorry this isn't, um, I'm at the wrong place." You slowly nodded agreeing with him, he stepped closer into the room and your mouth opened, agape.

It was Dylan.

He stepped closer towards you so that you could see his face better because the light shone on it. "Rachel, right?" He asked and you felt your head go up and down in a nodding position. Why couldn't you find your words? Why was your mouth not making any sounds in attempt to speak? What was going on with you?

Dylan shoved his hands into his pants pockets and looked around the room, the awkward silence grew between you. You felt as if he wanted you to say something, but what should you say? "So... Where are you trying to get to?" You asked a little unsure of why he was here.

His eyes traveled back to you slowly, and you felt your heart flutter as he sent a nervous smile towards you. "Uh, I was just heading towards the locker room." He stated as one of his hands flew up and he scratched his neck nervously. Why was he nervous, you should be the only one nervous here, you said to yourself.

"Okay," you said quietly before turning and grabbing your instrument case. You heard the door shut and you nodded to yourself. You knew he was going to leave anyway, but you hoped he would've left with you.

_____________

You sat on your bed, your window was open to let in the breeze because it felt like it was 80 degrees in your house. You were sitting criss-crossed, with a sketch pad on your lap, you were drawing. "Rachel dinner's almost ready!" Your mom called from the bottom step, you didn't move an inch though. You allowed your hand to continue drawing lines, and shapes.

"I'll be down soon, mom!" You yelled back so that she wouldn't come up and disturb you. You heard pop music playing, and you turned your head towards Dylan's window. His curtains were to the side so you could see into his room. He too, was laying on his bed, although he was typing something onto his phone. Probably texting Caroline, or Heather, or whatever that girls name was. You let out a longing sigh and turned your head back to your sketch. All the while, you were wondering what was wrong with you. Why couldn't he ever notice you?

"Because I'm not Heather... Or Carolina..." You mumbled to yourself, answering your thoughts aloud. You tore out the sketch of the stars and began to draw the face that's been in your mind all day. Seeing as you could remember almost every detail of him, you felt yourself began to feel horrible. How is it that one person can love another so much, but still be invisible to them? It didn't make any sense.

The pop music stopped playing, coincidentally you were finished with your sketch of Dylan also. You turned your head expecting his curtains to blocking your view, but instead you met his light brown eyes. You froze, unsure of what to say or do. Dylan on the other hand seemed chill, like nothing was weird. And for him, that was expected, but not from you. You expected yourself to do something odd, or unattractive in front of him. But as the two of you just started at each other through the windows, you saw a small smile rise on his face until it all went away when he pulled down the blinds.

As you lost his eye contact and your vision was only of the familiar curtains you usually saw every night, the only thing you kept rewinding in your mind was the way he smiled at you.

It looked genuine. You felt your self erasing the straight line you had on his sketched face, and drawing the sweet smile he had sent your way just minutes ago, your heart fluttering the whole time.