Innocent Stares

You sat in your seat, typing on your laptop, focused on finishing your homework. Then he walked in, making you look up from curiosity and meet his brown eyes.  You looked away quickly, knowing he still had his eyes on you as you went back to doing your work.

"Dylan! Look at this chick I'm talking to." His friend said as Dylan sat next to him, you tried as much as you could to ignore them. One of his friends sat in the desk in front of you, and Dylan sat to the right of his friend that was in front of you. Every time he turned his head to talk to his friend, you knew he glanced back at you, then quickly back to his friend.

You knew he looked at you whenever you were in his line of vision. And sometimes you didn't have to be, sometimes you'd just have to be around him and he'd catch a glance of you—purposely. 

What did that mean, though? Why did it seem like he always looked at you, why was it he always looked at you?

You didn't know. But you wanted too.

"Mm, good catch!" Dylan said, but you could tell he couldn't care less. The whole study hall grew silent shortly after and you realized it was almost time until the bell rang. You packed up your books, and looked at your teacher.

"What do we have for homework in Math today?" You asked him, feeling a little nervous once you noticed Dylan had stopped talking to his friend and paid attention to your question.

He wasn't even in your math class.

"Uh, hm. I'm not sure, let me look quick." Your teacher said typing something into his computer than pulling up a document. "Chapter 64, page one through ten." You internally groaned, rolling your eyes as you turned around and faced your back to the teacher. Your friends were talking about random things, you weren't interested enough to join in.

Soon class ended and you headed to your locker, than began walking back to your next class. You stared down at the floor as you walked, but looked up and met a pair of familiar brown eyes. Hi, you wanted him to say—or even you. You wanted to have the confidence to talk to him.

But your mind told you that instead you would humiliate yourself if you spoke a word to him.

As you walked to your second class, you could only think about lunch next hour.

"Hey, Trip thinks your crushing on him," Natia said to you—she was your friend—and waited for your reaction. "Are you?"

You shook your head. Trip had never crossed your mind before.

"No." You answered quietly.

As you sat and looked at the board, you zoned out, thinking of what it would be like to have someone head over heels for you. To have someone want to talk to you every night, to have a special relationship with someone that everyone's jealous of. To have someone to turn to when you're lonely, afraid, scared, or just plain missing human contact. You wanted to know what it was like. Was it nice? Did people dream about those things? Would you ever get that? Those questions repeated in your mind, over and over. "How about you, (y/n)? What do you think about love? Does it conquer all?" Love conquering all? No. Well, possibly. Maybe. How would you know? You've never been in love.

You rubbed your hands together. "For me to know, to really answer that question accurately I think I'd have to know what it was like to be in love with someone," you paused, thinking about how you could end your explanation. "Right now though, I think love doesn't conquer all. I think having someone by your side can help you overcome whatever struggles you're going through, but it doesn't have to be someone you love. It can be a friend, or maybe someone you've just met—online?"