Cowboy (au)

(What y/n wears)^

The wind blew by you as you stood there outside the saloon, you were scared to go in. You heard someone cat call behind you and your arms crossed over your chest, your eyes flying to one of the men who was responsible for it. "You better not be calling at me mister!" You said bravely, ready for his reaction. Curiously, a pair of brown eyes met yours that belonged to the man who had whistled.

"Cats got a tongue on her, hm?" He asked mockingly as his friends behind him laughed, clutching their stomachs as if it were the funniest thing they've ever heard in their life. You just rolled your eyes and didn't move as the man came closer to you. You rose up your nose and readied yourself for his probably obnoxious words. "Why don't you get on in there with me and have a drink, or more?" He asked, although the sentence was demeaning, his voice was soft and harmless. Different than it was when he spoke loud enough that his friends could hear him.

"I wouldn't even think of it," you stated. He stepped closer, but still didn't seem as if he really wanted to hurt you. Even though, you still made sure he knew you weren't alone. "My brother should be—" Loud clambering, sounds of boots hitting wood, and yelling caught you off guard. The cowboy picked you up swiftly and moved your body out of the way of two other men who came tumbling out of the door. You immediately recognized one of them. You hadn't even noticed your hands resting on the mans chest, as you watched your brother and another man fight in horror. Though you weren't startled because your brother had a reputation to start fights.

"Timmy!" You yelled, scared that he had finally met someone who could hurt him real bad. "Stop it now, stop it right now!" You walked towards them but was pulled back gently by your arm. You weren't thinking of how it could endanger you.

You felt a warm breath hover over your right ear as you watched the two men brawl. "You shouldn't do that miss. Getting involved in a mans fight will only hurt you, it'll do nothin' to stop anyone." Even though you were too stubborn to pretend he had just helped you out there, you still felt grateful once he walked over towards the men and pulled your brother away from the other man. Your brother looked around cluelessly, then realized he was outside and his gaze fell on you. A small smirk bewitched his lips.

"Oh, (y/n)," he said sounding fine, as if nothing had happened seconds before. "Tell Pa that we'll get our pay this week." He said looking at the other man, before walking over to your wagon and signaling the horses to take off.

"Timmy!" You yelled, running a little ways after him before giving up and fanning yourself to gain some cool air. You felt someone standing behind you as you watched your brother leave with the only way you could get home. This country wasn't safe for a woman to walk home all by herself, what were you going to do now?

"In his defense, I suppose he was drunk?" The cowboy behind you said and you rolled your eyes as you turned and placed your hands on your hips.

"He doesn't deserve to be defended." You commented. "Why are you bothering me?"

The cowboy shrugged, a cheeky smile on his face. "You needed help, miss."

You sucked in a breath. "I have help." And you walked into the saloon, the stench of booze, cigagrates, and something else that was a horrible smell filled your nose. There was a man behind the bar, wiping the glasses with a dry towel.

You walked over to him and he sent a glance your way before setting down his last glass. "What do you want, missy? To make as much trouble as yer brother has?" He asked and you restrained your eyes from rolling, you and your brother were nothing alike.