Brotha's Bestie

"Thomas if you don't open that door in one, two—" Your brother swung his door open and stood looking at you with a smirk on his face. You walked past him, bumping his shoulder purposely during, and turned around to look for your laptop. "Where is it?" You asked throwing his covers off his bed but you couldn't do any more damage as he walked over to you and pushed you away.

"I don't have it," He said calmly, rolling his eyes as you continued to look in another place. "You have like, 10 minutes, to keep looking and then you gotta go." He said and you stopped, you turned to glare at him.

"Why only 10 minutes?" You asked, knowing to actually find something in his pig-sty room it'd take at least a day, maybe more. He grabbed a bag a chips as he laid back on his bed and began to chew them.

"Dylan's coming over, and I don't want you freaking him out," he stated with a smirk and you puffed out a sigh.

"Why—how would I freak him out?" You asked confused.

Thomas shrugged. "By just being you," he said. "And not wearing make-up."

You clenched your fists but took in a few deep breaths, Thomas was older than you, and also had a good foot above you. You had no chance of winning a physical fight with him, although it's a different story using your words. "At least I have something to cover up my flaws, you got nothing, and that's why you're always home and never with any girls." You said. "Your natural looks make them run away." You said and he flipped you off before jumping off his bed, the doorbell went off. Repeatedly.

As your brother ran out of his room he grabbed your wrist and pulled you with him into the hall, then shut his door. He turned to you and said, "I'll let you look tomorrow, just go and hide in your room until Dylan leaves." Hide in your room, who did he think you were? One of his side chicks? Bitch please.

You watched as he descended down the steps and disappeared into the hallway. "Hey man!" You heard Thomas greet his friend and you walked down the steps. You stopped on the last one, trying to figure out who this Dylan was as you looked their way.

He didn't seem to notice you until your brother turned him toward the stairs. A smile made its way onto your face as his eyes slowly roamed up and down your body, then halted at your face. You tried not to seem that interested in him—even though you very much were, and from the way he looked at you his feelings were mutual—so you turned right and walked into the kitchen. As they passed the doorway you heard Dylan ask, "who's she?"

But your idiot of a brother had to respond with a short, "nobody."

The game is on, a little voice said inside your head and you made yourself a sandwich then walked into the living room, deciding that watching Christmas movies was a good way to pass time.

Hours later you found yourself waking up on the couch, someone stood above you with a blanket. "Hello?" You said quietly, and the person backed away, dropping the blanket to the floor.

"I—uh, you were asleep and I was trying to cover you up," he explained and you realized it was Dylan. "It's starting to get cold down here, and your brother is talking to his girlfriend." You mean side chick? A little voice inside your head said.

"So that's why you're down here?" You asked and he nodded. You sat up and patted the place next to you. "You can sit if you want. Unless you're planning on going back upstairs?" You offered because you wanted to go upstairs. And you wanted to fall asleep on your bed, not this couch.

"Nah," he said but he didn't look so convinced. "I think I'm might just... Go." He said, watching you carefully, as if he thought you were going to freak out on him.

You chuckled and stood up, walking into the kitchen. "Be my guest." You waved him off, and then threw away your paper plate, but your stomach growled so you decided to just pour yourself some cereal. You felt someone in the room and you turned around, Dylan leaned up against the doorframe. He was focusing all his attention on you.

"'Be my guest', do you not want me here or something?" He asked and you blinked.

"You said you were leaving... what else did you want me to say?" You paused. "I barely know you." You said and he nodded.

His eyes met yours and he walked towards you. "We should change that." You laughed as he was now a foot away from you.

"Maybe some other time, Romeo," you said with a smile. "How did you meet my brother anyway? He doesn't really do friends..." You mumbled the last part to yourself not wanting to offend him. Sure he was only a year older than you—you guessed seeing as he was friends with Thomas and Thomas and you were a year apart.

"Sometime in September, he was on my lacrosse team. I consider us best friends now." He said cheekily, you only frowned. You remembered Thomas telling you about lacrosse, saying how nothing about it made sense to him, but he wanted to try every sport your high school offered before he graduated. So far he's tried out every sport. "He hasn't told you about me, has he?"

"Why would he?" You said calmly, wondering why Dylan thought he was someone people would talk about. Sure, he had his gorgeous looks going for him, but that was all you knew about him at the moment. And it wasn't all about looks.

"Because, I don't know." He said and you shrugged.

"I doubt he was talking to his girlfriend up there, he blew you off for his side chick," you stated and Dylan laughed.

"Of course," he mumbled. He turned to you and on his face was an expression with curiosity etched into it. "Do you want to go out sometime? Maybe get something to eat?" He asked, he looked hopeful. You sighed, if only you could.

"Can't, sorry," you paused. He rose a brow and chuckled. "You're off limits." You said pointing a finger at him. He sat down at the table in the middle of the room and cocked his head to the side.

"Off limits?" He asked, wanting an explanation.

"No-go, dead-end." You offered more words that were similar to what you said. "My brother and I made a pact that neither of us can date the others friends. It's just awkward because after we break up it puts us in uncomfortable positions."

He nodded, you knew he got the idea but you wanted to continue on. "In fact, my friend and I are no longer as close because of that reason. It's why we started the pact."

He frowned. "I'm sorry." He said and sighed. "I respect that, but I'm not saying I like it." You knew you were blushing. 

Dylan turned toward the hallway, then looked back at you. "I should get back up to him, don't want him getting suspicious."

He walked into the hallway and waved to you, "see ya later!" You called to him and he sent you a smile before you heard his footsteps go up the stairs. You rubbed your eyes and sighed.

If only he wasn't your brothers best friend....