Chapter Sixty-Five

Ashton's POV

I had sat in the waiting room, just like every time before. I refused to talk or drink the water the boys offered me or even look up from my lap. My body felt numb. my hands shook covered in the almost dried blood of my boyfriend. I rubbed my thumbs together, leg shaking violently. I didn't know what was happening to Michael or what would happen to me. Nothing was definite, except for one thing, Jack was dead. It gave me relief, sanity knowing this was going to be over from this point on.

"Did you call Michael's mom?" Calum asks Luke sitting back down in the chair after returning from yet another smoke. He stared at me, but I didn't look up.

"They should be here soon." The conversation was short and after that no one said anything. I sat alone playing over the events in my head. Every detail. Like the way the gravel felt underneath my feet. The way Jack's breath slept on my neck with nearly every word he said. It still was there, I could feel it, as if he was still behind me. The sound of the two gun shots replaying in my head sent shivers down my spine and made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It was all too real for me.

Suddenly, after minutes of us waiting, Karen and Daryl otherwise known as Michael's parents rushed in. "Oh God where is he?" His mother asks and I look up. Her wrinkled face looked so soft and broken, with tears running down her face. It made my heart break honestly. I stared at the two of them and started sobbing, worse than I have before. His father looked at me in distress.

"Ashton." Daryl stated and sat beside me in the empty chair and grabbed my shoulder. "He's going to be alright son. Michael's a tough boy." I merely nodded my head but I couldn't believe that. At least not until the doctor had said so.

After a few more small words spoken, the conversation had once again died out and it was a quiet room full of anxious people just waiting to know if Michael would be okay. We decided it'd be best to leave Harry home while we waited here. That boy has been through too much for him to see this. Michael was one of the only people he had besides me. We sat in silence, unsure of what to say in this moment. Not to mention any time I even thought of talking my heart raced and I was a sobbing mess. I sat quiet and fiddled my dirty hands in my lap.

"You know Michael sure loves you, kid." Daryl says out of the blue and I tilt my head upwards looking into his eyes. "He talked about you all the damn time, everyday it was something else about what you did and how cute you looked doing it." He smiled and in a brief moment I did as well. Did Michael really talk about me that much?

"I've never seen him feel this way about anyone, not even Regina, I can just see it in the way he looks at you." He adds and I flash him a smile.

"Well.." I shakily say with the same grin on my face. "We're in love." The sound of my own voice brought tears to my eyes. We are in love, Michael and I. I couldn't ever picture myself being nearly as comfortable with anyone else but him.

I couldn't imagine sleeping with someone till one in the afternoon or crying to someone about my problems. Because no one has ever soothed me like he has. With sweet words and a soft touch he has helped me through so many unspeakable events that I could never repay him.

"I know you are, kid. " he said and grabbed my trembling hands. I took a deep breath and flashed him a small smile.

We were all quiet until the sun went down and yet there was still nothing until it was nearly midnight. My eyes were closing at this point and I could barely stay awake. The events from tonight hanging on my shoulders, making me so worn out I nearly pass out in the seat.

"Ashton, sweetie." I hear a woman say kindly, and touch my shoulder. I looked up to see Karen, I sat up and smiled lightly at her. "You should go home, we'll call if anything happens." Daryl turned and nodded as the boys began gathering their things. For a moment I refused to get up, I didn't want to leave. Leaving meant the possibility of me losing him, and I couldn't bare myself to do that. But out of respect for his parents, I nodded.

"Please let me know if anything comes up" I say quietly and she nods again with a comforting smile.

"I will, Ashton."

We all said our final good nights and left outside to the parking lot. Calum took the wheel and I sat in the passenger seat. I looked at around at my surroundings, beginning to play with my hands again. I had lots of questions to answer from the cops and detectives yet my mind had felt drained. I didn't want to explain myself and even though the possibility of jail was a terribly overwhelming circumstance I know I did the right thing regardless of how the court may see it.

Luke reached over the seat and grabbed my shoulder firmly and though I couldn't see him I could feel the sad look present on his face. I lightly tapped his hand as if to say I was okay and we began driving home. It was quiet and the roads were fairly empty, being as late as it was, I struggled just to keep my eyes open yet I was awaiting our arrival so I could clean myself of the blood and such that stained my hands. My eyes slowly began closing and next thing I knew Calum was shaking me saying in a soft voice that we were home. I slowly looked around as I tried to gain back my vision from being asleep. "Come on Ashton, you should get to bed."

I looked at him and nodded quietly before leaving his car and going in the house directly to the bathroom. I regretfully stared in the mirror at my shirt and hands which taunted me with its deep red marks , the exhausted look on my face masked pain and showed obvious signs of my sobs. I vigorously scrubbed my arms with tears down my face, so much that my skin nearly tore. However nothing could be enough to erase the guilt I hold on my shoulders, I shouldn't have let it get to this point, I promised to protect Michael yet only put him in more danger.

I pulled my shirt off and looked at myself one last time before going into Michael's room and laying down between his covers. I cuddled his pillow helplessly and let out a breath as the scent of his cologne filled my nose. I fell asleep taking slow calm breaths.

Omg hey guys I haven't updated in so long!! I'm so sorry I waited almost TWO years to post the ending however I plan to post either the last two within this next month for sure ! I'm sorry to everyone who may have been awaiting a chapter. Even though this may be an older book I hope all who had waited for this get the chance to read ! Hopefully I can post again within the next few days and please leave comments and like this story as well as follow me ! The book is almost over and I'm still astonished at how far it had come. So next two chapters should be here soon !!