1

"Mom! Mom!" I yelled out.

"What?" a muffled voiced answered.

"Have you seen my blue jacket?"

"Have you checked the closet?"

"Of course I checked th-" I stopped mid-sentence when I saw my jacket hung right where my mom said it would be.

"Never mind," I muttered.

I finished getting dressed and checked my complexion in the mirror. My skin was pale and due to my unhealthy sleeping schedule, small bags have begun to form under my eyes but at least my hair looked decent. I definitely looked and felt tired. The last few weeks of school had required more studying and less sleeping, and though I was satisfied with my final GPA, I still wished I had taken care of both my physical and mental health instead of worrying about flunking my tests after spending hours studying for them. But that's the system of education for you; everything is great as long as you keep your grades up, no need to worry about your well being.

You got the GPA you wanted so stop nagging, besides it's almost over.

It's almost over, I reminded myself once again. Thankfully, a soft knock interrupted my endless thoughts.

"Come in," I said and then threw my body on the bed.

"Hey," my mom smiled and proceeded to enter the room.

I awkwardly lifted my neck to greet her, "Hey."

My mother seated herself next to me and I sat up to face her. Her eyes were a bit puffy so she must have been crying, such a reaction is expected especially when your only daughter is going to leave for college in a month or so.

"Your dad went for an early jog, you know how he tries to avoid emotional situations like this."

I smiled in agreement, dad has always had a hard time letting people go, I must have gotten this trait from him but we're all bound to leave some people behind in order to grow.

"Anyway, we wanted to give you this," and then she produced a beautiful gold necklace.

I held it closely and watched the sun rays reflect on its shiny surface, and at the end of the chain was a little golden pair of angel wings.

"Oh mom."

"You like it?"

"I love it. Thank you so much," I said as I hugged her.

She giggled, "We just wanted you to know that we're so proud of you."

We let the hug last for a few a seconds I didn't want to break it but eventually I had to.

"I'll be downstairs if you need anything."

"Okay."

"Today's a big day!" she squealed,"My little girl is graduating!"

Yes I'm finally graduating. And on this day I'll go through the last leg of my high school experience.

"Love you," I said as she walked out after kissing the top of my head.

"Love you too baby."

Most kids found it hard to pick a specific major to study and I don't blame them, being handled the responsibility of picking a profession at a young age is stressful and hectic. We need to choose a major we love and then hope it will get us job opportunities and decent payments all while praying it won't be a waste of time, energy and money. I, on the other hand, was set on one thing: Harvard Law School.

A fancy university for a girl who lives in a small apartment with her parents. I knew I had the brains and the grades I just didn't have the money. It's always one of three fundamental elements. Sometimes it's age, sometimes it's time, sometimes it's talent; for me it was money but when I received my acceptance letter from the University of my dreams I knew I had to do anything to make it work.

It was a shot in the dark but I was going to take it. With student loans, parents' savings, garage sales, summer jobs, and the scholarship I was able to pay most of my tuition fees but I was on thin ice. If my GPA drops, my dreams collapse. Simple equation, hard application. I was still going to risk it, I needed to try. I had to try.

I left the apartment and waited at the bus stop for my fancy ride to arrive, got on, and took a deep breathe as I sat down.

"Everything will be okay. Don't worry. Your dreams are only one month away and you'll figure everything out," I told myself, "everything will be okay as long as you keep your grades up."