24

I woke up today to the sound of Mr Hunter arguing with someone on the phone.

"But we had an appointment," he said and then paused probably waiting for the other person to talk. "This is highly unprofessional..... yes I understand he's on a vacation but it's not like we came here by surprise...... okay five would be great..... yes thank you."

"Is everything okay?" I walked towards him while he hung up.

"Brooke pushed our appointment to five o'clock."

"Well at least we're still signing the contract."

"At least.... how about we head down to the lobby to eat?"

"Let me change first."

****

"You're lucky I agreed to meet you while on vacation," Mr Brooke scoffed.

"This meeting was already scheduled, same time at a different place, before you planned you're vacation and you are quite aware how tight our time is," Mr Hunter said dryly.

"Let's just get this over with." Brooke signaled his lawyer who placed a bunch of printed out papers in front of us. I took the paper and read them thoroughly for a couple of minutes.

"We don't cheat our partners," Brooke said sounding a little bit offended.

"Then you have nothing to worry about," I said still reading the papers. After I was a hundred percent sure that I covered everything, I nodded at Mr Hunter who quickly signed the contract and then stood up to shake Mr Brooke's hand.

****

"And now we can celebrate," Hunter smiled.

"By going back home," I continued.

He laughed, "Homesick already?"

"It's just the stress is bad for my asthma. I need to check in with my doctor once I get back."

"I'm worried about you Miss Morr."

"It's just a regular check sir, nothing to worry about," I smiled.

****

On our way back to the hotel we bumped into Bernard Sparks who, apparently, was shopping for suits for his parents' anniversary. Mr Hunter was planning on staying back in Germany because he was invited to the party while I fly back to the states.

"You have to come Miss Morr!" Bernard exclaimed, "I know it's rude to invite you all of the sudden but we just met and dad would be thrilled to see you there, he liked you a lot."

"I don't think I can make it since my flight is tomorrow morning," I apologized.

"Well I can't force you to come but it would be lovely to have you with us on such wonderful day."

"You know Miss Morr, you can stay an extra night and fly back with me," Mr Hunter suggested, "It would be great if you came with me since most of the guests are German and I hate to look like a loner."

"Well.... I guess it'll be fun."

"Yes it will!" Bernard smiled happily.

"Okay I'm going," I chuckled at his excitement. Shortly after he left and we went back to the suite.

"I was just informed that your room is going to be read tomorrow," Mr Hunter said as were getting ready to go to bed.

"That's great," I said.

"And I thought we had a good roommate bond," he mumbled.

"Oh no sir," I laughed as I got into bed, "I didn't mean it like that."

"I know I know," he smiled.

My back was now facing Mr Hunter and I was ready to fall asleep, somehow we had grown closer these last two days and the awkwardness of the situation began to fade.

"Miss Morr," he whispered, "Are you still awake?"

"Yeah," I mumbled with my eyes closed.

"Have you ever felt so afraid of losing something that isn't yours?"

"Well.... we humans tend to mentally own the thing we desperately want before they physically become ours so I imagine the great fear of abstractly losing them because we truly believe they belong to us."

"You didn't answer my question."

I stared at the shadows in the room for a while lost in my own thoughts, "Have I ever feared losing something before literally owning it?"

"I don't think so because I always worked hard to get what I want so maybe I'm not afraid of losing because I'm sure sure it'll be mine eventually."

"You're quite lucky then Miss Morr."

"Is just work hard."

"Goodnight Miss Morr."

"Night sir."