6

Two weeks had past since the night I was kidnapped. I spent most of my time in my room to afraid to step outside until my parents noticed my unusual behavior, I told them I wanted to hang around as much as I can before traveling to Cambridge and thankfully, they found my little lie sweet and then offered to take me out to lunch.

When we went back home, I got a text from Claire asking me to meet her in our usual café. Now that I've noticed, it's been a while since I last saw Claire or any of my friends, after the party my life has been a roller-coaster so it was hard keeping in touch with everyone and everything.

Once inside the café, I was able to spot Claire's blonde hair. She was sitting alone and didn't notice me when I sat down across her until I spoke.

"Hey," I started.

"Hey," she said quietly looking at the previously ordered coffee.

"Anything wrong, Claire?"

"Can I trust you?"

The question caught me off guard especially when Claire and I aren't that close. We met during Junior year back then when we shared English class together and she was my lab partner, she was nice and everyone enjoyed her company. Claire used to sit with us during lunch break from time to time but that was it. Being around her now felt weird as I watch her.... not being herself, her voice is lower than usually and I can barely see her face.

"Umm sure you can trust me," I finally answered.

"Angy I..."

I waited for her to continue but she never did.

"Are you okay?" I asked beginning to worry.

"No," Claire eventually said and started to cry.

For a second my brain found it hard to register what was happening, Claire was crying right in front and here I am listening to her quiet sobs. I got up and hugged her maybe it will give her some comfort.

"Can you please take me home?" she managed to speak.

"Of course."

****

I was not ready for this.

My mouth hung open as soon as she opened the front door. It was a mess. The apartment was a mess, broken glass everywhere, empty bottles of wine knocked over, most of the furniture was flipped and smashed, and I can't begin to describe the smell.

I helped her to the bedroom where the closets are all opened and empty. Where is Walter?

Claire was sitting on the bed and drinking the green tea I made her.

"Feeling any better?" I asked.

She nodded and then put the cup of tea on the nightstand beside her.

It felt like forever before she managed to speak again, "I know this is all weird for you and a bit scary. You deserve some sort of an explanation from me."

"You can trust me," I assured her for the second time without knowing but she just stared at me. Can she trust me? I bet whatever had happened must be really seriously and she's trying to study each step before having the courage to take it.

"I was getting off my shift two weeks ago," she started, "And I was heading to my car when someone stopped me.

"He forced me to the back seat of my car and started undressing me. I tried screaming but he shoved his hand in my mouth and began choking me."

At this point Claire was sobbing, "And I tried again and again and again until he- he- he-"

And there she broke down, crying and screaming I tried to stop her before she could hurt herself by hugging her. I had tears in my eyes and I forced myself to keep it together, the room felt darker and suddenly all I could hear was the bed squeaking underneath Claire.