74Wondering Minds

Silence. That's all we could hear. I never understood how people can actually hear the silence or how it could be "loud" but when you are in a room with tension wrapped around it and no sound coming from the people in it you actually realize how loud the silence is,so loud you actually hear it. It's not really the silence but what comes with it,you start hearing your thoughts louder and clearer,you start imagining things that happened to you in the past or predict what will happen in the future. Suddenly you start paying attention to the way your heart is beating and the rhythm of your breathing. You start noticing small details and get more aware of your surroundings and that all happens in the presence of silence because suddenly we start paying more attention to the minor things around us and we have time to think about them. But why do we fully use our heads and think only when we are silent? Because it is only when our mouths are shut.

"When will you release her?" the devil asked quietly but you can sense his anger.

"When I think it's time to do so." the old man answered.

"And when is that?"

"You never changed. You still have the same attitude. Made you stick out pretty well,such a shame you betrayed us."

"You should get this idea out of your head,Freddie. No one betrayed anyone;Luca and I simply left because we don't want to live like this for the rest of our lives. We wanted something more and we got it."

"No,Luca didn't simply left. He called the cops on us but thank God we managed to get away with it."

"How could you be so sure that Luca is the one who called them? They may had been watching you."

"We know how the police works and when they're watching us."

"It doesn't have to be Luca,a treason is very common in gangs."

"Watch it Dylan,no one comes and starts blaming my gang members on something they can never do."

"Oh for God's sake Freddie! Do you actually believe all your gang members are loyal?!"

"Used to before you proved me wrong."

"Listen I don't care if you believe whether I betrayed or not we are not here to discuss trust issues. Release Angelica this instance and do whatever you want to me."

Freddie turned to me and started eyeing me from head to toe.

"Watch the way you look at her." Dylan spoke through clenched teeth.

"Angelica,I like your name. Beautiful like you." he complimented shamelessly.

"I never asked your opinion about my name and beauty." I fired at him.

"Hmm," he said looking at me with a raised eyebrow. "You can drop the tough girl act Angelica,I can see your hands shaking. I know you're scared."

My breathing increased,how did he know? I swallowed as I realized that I won't be able to keep up the act especially when it was getting harder to breathe.

"Why to be afraid? I'm having a conversation with an old man called Freddie. I thought gang leaders should have a scarier name." I tried to calm myself by making him seem silly. He was short for a man and rather round,it's hard to imagine him as a dangerous gang leader. These thoughts made me a lot calmer.

"You watch a lot of movies," he chuckled. "But now that you mentioned it my real name isn't Freddie,it's Lamar Redman."

"What?" Dylan frowned.

"I had to change it because of a little accident."

I frowned slightly when I heard his real name. It seemed awfully familiar my memory travelled back to where I heard the name but it seemed so far. I know I had heard this name before. But where?