15

13 years later.....

"Will the jury foreperson please stand?" the judge asked.

The old lady closed the buttons of her blazer and stood, head high.

"Has the jury reached an unanimous verdict?"

"Yes your honor," the lady answered.

The clerk took the verdict form from the foreperson and handed it to the judge as he read it silently while Paula waited eagerly for him to finish.

The judge nodded his head slowly and passed down the form to his left, he then called the clerk over.

"All rise," the Bailiff boomed.

Everyone in the court stood in silence.

"Members of the Jury, on the case of Albert Mendes verses Paula Jones," the clerk began, "Find the defendant, Albert Mendes, guilty of sex offend. Albert Mendes is charged with first degree sex assault and will serve thirteen years in prison."

Paula's tears streamed down her face as she looked at the judge in astonishment, she thought her own ears were deceiving her.

"Members of the jury, this court dismisses you and thanks you for a job well done," the judge added, "This court is adjourned."

When the trail was over the judge left the bench and everyone in the room raced towards Paula to hug her. They were all crying and smiling but Paula's smile was the widest.

"Miss Morr,I can't thank you enough," she cried as she held my hands, "I never imagined someone would believe an ex-sex worker was getting raped for years! I never imagined I would see that man behind bars!"

"The law was made to protect everyone and no matter what you were or are if you're a victim, I'm going to do everything I can to give you a fair trail," I squeezed her hands.

"God bless you Miss Morr, you're truly an angel."

I smiled at her and excused myself to answer the phone that was ringing in my pocket.

"Angelica Morr speaking," I talked as I walked out of the court.

"Angy! Help I forgot to pick up the cake!"

"Don't worry! I got it!"

"You're a life savior! Is the trail over?"

"Yup! We won!"

"I knew you can do it! I'm sure Paula is over the moon right now!"

"You bet," I smiled, "I'm gonna hang up now. I'll be over in a second."

"Bye!"

"Bye."

"I hope the traffic is light," I thought as I put the car in reverse. My eyeslids felt droopy due to the lack of sleep, this case took a lot of time and energy but the shot of adrenaline at the end was worth it. "I need a trip to the spa," I thought, "Or maybe a vacation."

The roads seemed endless and for a second I felt like the car wasn't moving, "Maybe I shouldn't have had a lot of coffee this morning but I needed it to make up for the restless night." I parked my car in front of the patisserie but took my time before getting out, my head was spinning and I was zoning in and out. "Get a grip of yourself, soon you will be home taking a nice cool shower."

****

"Claire!" I yelled as I shut the door with the my foot.

An electric toy helicopter flew just above my head.