48 Promotions

"Okay,I'll see you soon. Bye." I said and hung up my phone then turned to Claire who was sitting on the bed. "That was Dylan,he's stuck in traffic but soon will be here."

"Did he check on Adam?"

"Yeah he said that Adam is doing way better than he had last seen him."

Claire formed a little smile on her lips. "That's good."

Today's Tuesday. Dylan woke up early this morning,dropped me off at the hospital,and went back to Los Angeles to bring me some clothes and to check on Adam. I've previously texted Kathy to pack me a small bag with all the essentials so my boyfriend can pick up for me and see how Adam is doing and if he needed anything. He should be here any second.

"Do you want me to bring you anything?" I asked Claire.

"No,I'm fine. What time is it by the way?"

"Almost almost twelve." I answered while checking my watch.

"They'll be giving me my medication soon."

I rolled my eyes. I swear if she had been conscious during her surgery she would have given the doctors instructions on how it should be done. The thing about Claire is that she likes things to be done perfectly and properly,and usually the proper way is her way but she backs done everyone and then and gives the spotlight to someone else.

But I guess that's the hazard of loving and knowing so much your work. It's hard for me to see a case and not try to take it and that goes for Claire too in being a doctor.

The door knocked when my phone began to ring. It was probably the nurse here to give Claire her medication and checking everything they have to.

"Good afternoon Ms Houston." I heard the nurse say before going to answer my phone.

"Hello?" I picked up the phone.

"Hey Angy." Adam's cheerful voice spoke.

"Hey buddy how are you?"

"I'm good,you?"

"I'm great now that I heard your voice."

Adam giggled. "Can I talk to mommy?"

"Sure let me get her on the phone for you." I turned to Claire and my heart almost dropped. I held my breathing as I watched the nurse giving her the medicine and then turning to the machine.

"Umm Adam mommy is a little busy right now,she'll call you later. Okay?" I spoke still puzzled.

"Okay." Adam said.

"Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up without looking at the screen and swallowed fear slowly taking over my body.

"Ang what's wrong?" Claire asked me but I kept my eyes on one person.

"Well Ms Houston you're healing quite quick. Hope you get well soon." the nurse spoke with a broad smile and when he was about to push the cart out of the room,his eyes met mine which made him stop for a moment as if he had seen me somewhere and when he recognized me his body froze like a statue.

"Ang? Angy? What's going on?" Claire questioned my weird behavior,but I didn't answer I just kept staring at the nurse.

Somebody knocked on the door and entered but I didn't bother to turn my head.

"Hey Angela,I brought you the bag you asked Kathy to-" Dylan stopped talking,probably because he noticed the presence of the nurse.

The nurse looked at him with wide eyes. "Dylan?" he questioned. "I thought you were dead!"

Dylan came and stood infront of me as if he is trying to hide me. I felt safe once he was near me.

"Luka what are you doing here?" he asked firmly.

"I should be asking why the hell are you alive!" Luka exclaimed.

"Can somebody please explain what is happening over here?!" Claire said from behind. "Angy, who is this nurse?"

"He's just some guy I used to know from my past connections." Dylan answered coldly keeping his eyes on Luka.

"Some guy? We were best friends! Well before you faked your death at least." Luka spoke slightly offended.

"Were. We were best friends." Dylan stress.

"What the hell is wrong with you man?! Why are you acting this way?"

"Because I don't want anything to do with somebody from the gang,it's history for me."

"He's from your old gang?!" Claire exclaimed. I had told Claire about Dylan's past and him being a part of a gang,how they used to sell drugs,and all of that but I never stressed at how dangerous the guys were or that most of them raped,except for Dylan.

"Yes,but I don't want anything to go with it anymore."

"Relax bro,I'm on the same page as you. I left the gang."

Dylan raised an eyebrow as if he was waiting for a further explanation.

"After the car explosion and your death," Luka began. "Everything turned like hell,the gang became worse and worse their crimes grew more inhuman to a point where I couldn't take it anymore. So I ran away. I found me a real job and I began working,I even went to college for God's sake!"

Luka joined the gang when he was eighteen,he never dropped out of school and his grade were good enough to earn him a good scholarship,that's what I remember Dylan telling me a long time ago. I never thought I'd be seeing him again honestly.

"Look man,I'm clean. All this gang shit I got over it,I don't even want anything to do with it ever again. You know why I joined this hell hole the first place!" Luka defended himself.

Dylan looked like he was half convinced but didn't want to believe him.

"For the past seven year,I had been working my ass off for a new life. You have no idea how I went through to go to college so I can get a decent job and what shitty conditions I had to live in so I can live a new respectful life."

His words made me remember what I had to live through when I first move to LA. It was a really hard life back then. I looked at Dylan again,his face was and expressions weren't as hard and cold as before but he was still not fully convinced.

"I got promoted last week,this is my last day here,on Friday I'll be transported to a new hospital in Los Angeles where I'm going to live from now and on." Luca added and why heart almost stopped beating.

"What did you say?" Dylan asked.

"I'm got a promotion and today I'll move to my new apartment in LA." Luca explained.

"What's the name of the hospital?"

"Ahh something care,caring," he thought. "The Caring Hands Hospital!" Luca suddenly said.

My lips aparted slightly as I turned pale while Claire had her eyes wide opened looking at Luca. A criminal will be working with Claire in the same hospital,worse a rapist is going to work with her!