14

It was around five in the morning when I finally came back home I didn't want to sleep because I knew I'll probably wake up at night. Instead I checked my bags one last time, prepared my passport and went to take another shower.

I drank coffee with my parents around seven and it was decided that today will be a fun day before I leave to college so I guess I'm gonna have to sleep on the plane. We invited Claire to lunch and my parents took me out to a last minute shopping spree. I was beaten out but I knew I'm going to regret not spending time with them when I'm in Cambridge so I carried on with the sleep deprivation and headache.

It's hard to leave everything here and begin again somewhere else with no one beside me but I guess that's the whole idea of growing up, to do things out of your comfort zone in order to understand your likings better.

"We need to teach you how to grow a thick skin," I quoted his words in my head.

Maybe I still have time for one last visit.

"Mom! Dad! I'm going out for a while!" I yelled as I headed to the front door.

"Right now?" my mon yelled back fron the kitchen, "Just don't be late or we'll miss the flight!"

"Yeah don't worry about it!"

I stopped a cab and quickly got in, I need to talk to him before I leave.

****

There he laid,

Michael Roberts, 1998-2013,
Let your brave wonderful young soul rest in peace.

I knelt down and placed a bouquet of flowers on his grave, it seems like no one has visited him lately. He always liked to be surrounded by people when he was alive, I guess his family forgot about that and so did I.

"Hey Mike," I began, "It's me,Ang.... I'm sorry it took me a long time to visit but I guess.... I guess I couldn't find the power to come because it hurt so much.... it still hurts even after all these years....

My voice was starting to break and there was a lump in my throat but I need to let it all out before leaving, "I hope you're doing okay. I'm eighteen now and guess what? I got into Harvard just like you said I would.... yeah I'm flying to Britain today and I wanted to say goodbye before I go. Things were hard for me after you left but you taught me how to be thick skinned so I refused to give in," I chucked when I copied his words and a tear fell on his grave.

I lowered my head and looked away and inhaled deeply then I turned to his grave again.

"I miss you," I sniffed and tried my hardest not to cry, "I don't know what happened to your family,I lost connection with them when they moved away without you. They had a really hard time too when you were gone.... we all miss you Mike."

I cried but I needed to go on. "I met this new girl, her name is Claire I think you would have liked her, she's really sweet like you and she is going to Stanford University to study medicine. Remember when you wanted to become a surgeon but then gave up when we found a decomposed rat on the sidewalk? You got sick that day and swore not to attend biology class anymore." The memory of him running away made me laugh.

"I also met this new guy more likely a devil if you asked me," I couldn't stop myself from smiling at the thought of Dylan, "He calls me his angel but I can't fall for his words Mike, he works for bad people like the ones who killed you. I can't do this to you nor to the profession I seek. It just feels wrong."

I stared at the flowers, we pick them up to watch them die alone and in silence. Beauty has it's price.

"I will find him Mike, and I will give you the trail you deserve, he won't get away with it," I spoke at last, "I have to go now but I'll visit again.... goodbye Mike.... I love you."

****

"Oh my baby girl is going to Harvard!" my mom said as she hugged me.....for the tenth time since we set foot in the airport.

"Mom you already said that," I chuckled as I hugged her again.

"We're just so proud of you honey," dad smiled.

"We're gonna miss you Ang," Claire side-hugged me.

"I know I'm gonna miss all of you guys too."

The lady in the intercom broke our hug.

"Do you have your passport with you? Your boarding pass? Your luggage?" my mom panicked.

"Yup all here."

"Okay take care of yourself and eat well."

I laughed as I hugged them all one last time. I went inside the metal detector, still hearing my parents talking to me.

"Call whenever you can!"

"Eyes on the books not the boys!"

"Take care of yourself!"

I shook my head and smiled, I'm really going to miss these people.

Finally, I breathed as I took my seat in the plane, now I can doze off for a while but the flight attendant tapped on my shoulder just I was closing my eyes.

"Angelica Morr?"

"Yeah?"

"This is for you," she said as she gave me an envelope with my name written on in it.

"Who sent it?"

"I don't know, I was only instructed to give it to you."

"Oh.... okay thanks."

She smiled and then went to check on other passengers.

I opened the envelope and pulled out the card inside:

You're headstrong but I like you. Take care of yourself angel and stay away from trouble.

Yours truly, devil

I looked up and let out a heavy sigh, why are you doing this to me, Dylan?

The engines began to rumble and I had to leave everything behind once I'm in the air so I held in a breath and let him go with it, I'm sorry Dylan maybe we would've worked out in other life where I'm not so broken and you make better decisions.

The plane got higher, I looked out the window and things started to get shrink, this is it, the beginning of the beginning.