This Shit For The Long Run

Jade's POV:

I pick up Jaden and Malaya's from my mom's. When I get home, I sit on the couch and wait from Melrose to come home. Melrose strolls through the door at 7 am, with a big smile and bag of breakfast from IHOP.

"You think food is going to make up for the fact that you've been missing for about 7 hours?" I put my hands on my hips and eye her up and down with disgust, although she does looks bomb.

"I mean, yeah. Good eating is the key to happiness." Melrose puts the bag down on the table and starts unpacking the food and setting the table.

"Let me smell your strap?" I demand.

Melrose laughs. "The fuck? Hell no! What's wrong with you?"

"If you innocent then I don't see what the problem is?" I grab her belt buckle.

"Hell no, Jade. That's violating!" Melrose pulls away from me.

"Are you cheating on me, Mel! Be honest." I bark.

"Can we just have a nice breakfast as a happy family?" Melrose puts Jaden and Malaya in their high chairs.

"If you weren't cheating on me then where were you?" I calm down.

"I was with Young Cocaine, he needed help with an upcoming case so I vibed with him last night. Plus, I needed to get away from everything too." Melrose explains.

"If I find out you cheatin on me, Mel, you and that hoe's faces are gon get scarred. You think I'm fuckin playin but I'm not!" I threaten. 

"Baby, calm the fuck down." Melrose wraps her arms around me then passionately kisses me.

"I'm sorry, I just needed you last night. So much shit happened. Your dad pushed Desiree out a three story window, she lost her babies, and now she is in critical condition, fighting for her life." I cry.

"Whoa, no shit? How you know my pops did it?" Melrose asks, with wide eyes.

"Mel, yesterday that nigga was way too calm and collected about a prostitute trapping him. Then all of sudden, Desi falls out a window. Nah, that's bullshit. I know he had somethin to do with it." I argue.

"Well, Damn the Devil gotta fall someday." Melrose chuckles.

"Mel, he killed their babies and tried to take her life as well!" I bark.

"Yeah but ain't that the same bitch who get abortions on a regular and puts her life at risk every time she lay down for a check. Fuck dat bih." Melrose shrugs.

"What the fuck is wrong with your family? Babies died! Your half bro and sis!" I cry.

"Jade, you bein dramatic. Have a pancake." Melrose places a pancake on a plate and hands it to me.

I glare at her then slam our room door.

"Want some oreos?" Melrose yells after me.

I go and take a shower. I wonder how everyone could be so insensitive to what happened to Desiree. I understand Desiree does some bad things and overall is a total bitch but she definitely is not the Devil. That "Devil" pulled me out of a rut when I needed it the most. That "Devil" is the reason why I even know the Williams family. Innocent babies died in the process and as cold as Desiree may be at times, she probably gon recover from that fall but never recover from that loss. I mourn for my friend and her unborn babies and get ready for the day. When I finally come out the room. Melrose is on the floor playing with Jaden and Malaya and having a baby like conversation with them. Lowkey it melts my heart but I'm still mad at her for a lot of things. I come sit out the couch and begin eating a cold pancake, observing them bonding.