• 27 •

"STEP AWAY FROM my fiancé!"

Diego.

Mason stepped away from me, but not in fear, he had a challenging look on his face practically asking Diego to argue with him, fight with him.

I used that chance to slide away against the wall, and crumble into a ball in the corner. By now my face was wet with tears, and I could taste the saltiness. I hugged my knees to my chest, and tried to steady my shaky heavy breaths.

I felt frightened and vulnerable. If Diego hadn't come right at that moment, who knows what Mason would have done. My heart was beating against my chest, and I couldn't even try to calm down. My breaths were still uneven, but I watched Diego and Mason—scared for Diego.

Even though Mason was not as broad as Diego, Mason was definitely stronger than I had originally thought. But Diego looked ready for anything. His fists were balled, his shoulders tense with anger, his jaw hardened, and to top it all off there was his glowering stare aimed at Mason.

"Cousin, how nice of you to join us," Mason says, a wicked cheerfulness in his voice.

It sent a shiver down my spine.

"You are a sick bastard," Diego growls.

Mason didn't reply, and instead lunged for Diego. My breath caught in my throat, but luckily Diego dodged him -moving surprisingly nimbly in a suit-. Mason huffed out a breath, and turned.

He was too slow, by the time Mason turned his head Diego's fist collided with his jaw. Mason staggered backwards which made me question the strength of that punch. Diego wasted no time using this vulnerable moment he punched Mason again, and Mason fell to the floor.

Seeing his face, made my brain go crazy again. My hands were still sweating. My shoulders shook as sobs wracked my body. Mason's head was close to my feet, so I brought my knees even closer, making it even harder to breathe.

Diego was on top of Mason now. His face was red with fury, as he sent a punch to Mason's jaw. Then his cheekbone. Then his chest. Then his shoulder. Diego's fist aimed for Mason's neck when I stopped him. Mason's eyes were already closing in defeat.