• alternate ending 2 •

• Diego •

Diego

I WAKE UP in a hospital room.

It takes a moment for my eyes to adjust to the light. Camila shoves Marco awake and they are at my side after calling for a nurse. Camila holds my hand gently and kisses my forehead.

"Hey. How are you feeling?" Marco asks.

I could see it in their eyes, in their gentle smiles. Something was wrong. And it wasn't my health.

"I'm actually not too bad," I reply and they nod.

My father enters my room with a nurse. He gives me a reassuring smile. Camila doesn't let go of my hand as the nurse does all of the necessary checks.

"You should stay the night, and you will be discharged tomorrow. Your father has said that there will be a therapist here later to speak about rehabilitation." I nod in understanding and thank her.

The next few hours were spent talking about my recovery. Dr Dufre checked in, but he had an appointment to get to. They were walking on eggshells around me, but I could tell that it had nothing to do with my alcohol abuse. I was too afraid to actually ask what happened.

"Diego!"

I could recognise those voices anywhere. They were annoyingly comforting and I could not help the smile that crept onto my face. Francesca and Leon grinned widely at me.

"How you doin'?" Leon asks with a nod and a grin.

"Not interested Tribbiani," I reply and he laughs.

Camila let go of my hand, for the first time since I woke up, in shock. Marco and Gregorio shared the same look and it took a moment for Francesca and Leon to share a look of guilt.

"It's okay. I figured it out," I say and Camila squeezes my hand.

"I didn't know if you could handle it yet. I just wanted to keep you safe. I'm so sorry, love." I kiss her hand and exhale deeply.

"It's my fault. I screwed everything up and almost screwed up the rest of my life. I didn't deserve her anyway and I did not deserve her coming back to me. It's kind of you guys to try and hide the truth from me, but I'm not an idiot. I'll learn to live in spite of it," I say, and I think I actually believed it.

Yes, I loved her. She was the best thing to ever happen to me, and I will cherish every single moment I spent with her, but it was the end of the line.

There was something about a near-death experience that forced you to open your eyes. I had felt alone for the last two weeks, but if the crowded room told me anything, I was not. I as a group of people worried about my safety. I would always miss her, but I could not throw my life away for her.

I had all of these people and I would do right then by them. They did not deserve to live with the consequences if something happened to me.

She had taught me to open up. She taught me that it was okay to fall in love. I made the biggest mistake with her, but maybe I have actually learnt from it. She has given me so much, and I could not throw it all away. I finally have the confidence to do it all over again.

"I'm okay. I will be even better someday."

Again, I believe it. They believe it. It's the only optimistic thing that I've ever said that has actually been the truth.

Goodbye, Violetta.

The idea (which I couldn't say at the beginning without giving too much away) is that Violetta left the city

The idea (which I couldn't say at the beginning without giving too much away) is that Violetta left the city. She left the damn country. She never took Maya (the puppy) and she never stayed with Francesca and Leon. I have decided that she did hear the voicemails (because I like to be evil like that).

Well, I hope it was still enjoyable. Violetta has taught him so much, and I think that in this scenario, he still would have ended up okay. Also, I know these are short, but they are just alternate endings, nothing important.

As the next chapter is DEFINITELY the last chapter. No turning back. No more bonus chapters. This is it.

Thanks for reading 🙈 Sorry for any errors 💚

~Lexy 😈