• 2.9 •

MARRIAGE IS SUPPOSED to be beautiful

MARRIAGE IS SUPPOSED to be beautiful. Right?

There are two people taking the next level in their relationship. The biggest, and hopefully the last, step. It's a commitment different to any other one may make in life.

And yet, it feels like I couldn't care less about the fact that my wedding is in an hour.

But with Marco and Camila freaking out, I don't think it would be wise for me to do the same. Although, to be fair, they are only off the rails because I am not.

"I know you are some tough, cool guy but you are getting married! Surely there's a part of that's annoyed or maybe even excited," Marco cries out and I shake my head, laughing.

"You're not even getting a little excited about the fact that you're going to be spending some time on an island with Violetta. Alone. On an island. Alone," Camila says, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Do you want me to say something dirty-minded?" I offer and they groan.

I could not help but find their anguish hilarious. They always wanted me to be happy and they believed that getting married would help that situation. But I was indifferent. It's not like this marriage would be a symbol of some love that Violetta and I are presumed to share. It's a symbol of a business deal that she was forced into.

Where was the anticipation in that?

If she thought getting married to me was the worst thing that could happen to her, then why would I waste my time feeling anything?

Of course, Marco and Camila could not disagree more.

"Maybe you making an effort in this marriage will actually help with her terrible emotions. Maybe you can be her reason to look forward to this."

"Our relationship doesn't work like that. In order for that to happen she would need to care about the way I felt," I say and Camila just gives me a look.

Stop being so pessimistic.

Can't help it, I silently reply.

I knew what they wanted me to say. I was supposed to be scared, scared to ruin my relationship with her. Whatever our relationship could be as classified as. They wanted me to say that I would try and change. That even I understood what a marriage entailed: putting your life in somebody else's hands, promising to love them forever and believing that your love even can last forever.