• 52 •

HE LEFT AN hour later

I hoped that it was only for a few hours and that he would not come back drunk again.

He looked so disappointed in me. But he also looked disappointed in himself as if he was chastising himself for ever trusting me in the first place. I had spent half an hour leaning against his door voicing my apologies but I was forced to stop when he started blasting music.

I was in my room when he left. I hadn't even heard him exit his room, all I heard was the front door being slammed shut. By the time I had rushed out (barefoot) the elevator doors were already closed.

At first, I thought, maybe he just went out for a smoke (he smoked like once every two or three weeks) but after an hour I realised that was not true. I still had faith that he would return tonight so that we could properly talk it out. Earlier, he did all the speaking and I simply sheepishly listened.

But, by two in the morning, I finally admitted that he wasn't coming home tonight. This meant that he was truly angry about this situation and that I really messed up.

Diego changed his schedule for me. And I was lying to him.

I couldn't blame him for leaving, I certainly deserved it. I had been waiting for him to care about me and when he does I ruin it. God, I am an idiot.

I call the first person that comes to my mind. Marco. They were best friends and hopefully what Diego really needed was cool-headed advice and who is better than Marco? And, there is a good chance that if he told Camila, she would have ordered to have my head by now. Marco is too sweet to even hurt a fly.

"He's with me, you don't need to stress," He says the moment he answers, "And hey," He adds afterwards.

"Is he really angry with me? Or is it disappointment? I feel like it's the latter. God, he hates me, doesn't he? Oh, he probably does. He is never coming back, is he? He will probably cut me off and then I will forever be alone. He is angry with me, isn't he? Damn, damn, damn, da-"

"Violetta, I just told you not to stress," He laughs.

"I am sorry, your ears are probably bleeding. I always seem to ramble when I'm stressed, it is this weird quality that generally annoys everybody. Especially when I wrote exams, I would be spurting out formulae, dates, landforms...and I'm doing it again," I clench my eyes shut in embarrassment.