Binary Free

By Mel Melkia190

~

Hey. My name's Mel. I was born Melanie, but hey, things change, right? I'm non-binary, and gay. Technically I'm Lesbian, but I like gay better. I don't know why. My story is kind 'eh' compared to others. Let's go to the beginning of my set discovery.

Alright, it's a lovely summer day. 12/13 year old Melanie is on Instagram. She sees an account that's Homestuck and LGBTQ+. She gets along with the account, while learning about more sexualities and genders. She discovers agender before non-binary, and pansexual. Melanie thinks good and long. She liked anything that was boy and girl, as society puts it, and did find boys and girls nice at the time. She comes out as that to her family.

Melanie's family says neither Pansexual or Agender are real/valid. Melanie has depression you see, and this caused her to relapse back into a depressed state. She didn't talk to anyone as often as she did. What her family said was so wrong. It's something a family should never do to their child. Being told that your sexuality is "against God", and that their gender is "not valid"/"not real". It's worse when your brother is gay, and wasn't told that he'd change his mind one day.

Fast forward, Melanie is almost 15, and a freshman in High school. But Melanie is known as Mel, a person who uses they/them, to their friends and teachers. Anyone who isn't their family, really. They know full well their family would just basically exile them, saying that non-binary isn't real. Mel, however, has grown tougher, and more stubborn about how they think, and what is valid to them.

So here I am. A gay, non-binary human, whose name is Mel, and is very much ready to pull someone who tries telling me, or anyone who is non-binary, that we're not valid, or that we are just special snowflakes from their high chair. I sure as hell did change in my sexuality, but that's because men are just not my forte. Dunno why, just don't have interest in them. I'm proud of who I am, be it how I look, who I love, or how I identify.