True Friends Will Always Accept You

By Anonymous

~

Hello guys! I'm the same person who wrote "Finding Myself". Last time wasn't exactly a milestone, but more of a confession and a way for me to get some things off my chest. This however, is an actual milestone.

One of my friends and I very much enjoy talking about anything under the sun, but our favorite conversations are the deep, personal ones. Honestly, she's not my best friend. I haven't known her long, but we are great friends anyway. Oftentimes we​ like to discuss our feelings on different controversial topics such as religion, politics (yuck! XD), and of course, sexuality. She was the first person to know that I am questioning my sexuality. She's just such a kind, accepting, down to Earth kind of girl. So I told her. But still my best friend knew nothing.

My best friend is an amazing, fabulous person, but her family is very religious. In fact, not long before she found out, we chatted about the LGBTQ+ community. She told me she was neither against nor with the community, because of her religion and whatnot. Obviously, this made me uncomfortable. To be completely honest here, I did not plan on telling her anytime soon anyway.

But then I had a party at my house and both friends were invited. We were just hanging out when another familiar friend, someone mentioned in my other chapter, asked to see an art thing I was doing for Pride Month. We started talking about sexuality a bit. And furries (no judgement please. I've been called some pretty horrid stuff because I draw furries and have a fursona. I have hardly considered myself to be a furry for a month yet!) So the mention of our fursonas came up.

My best friend was curious as to what the sexuality of my fursona might be. Well, she's my fursona right? So obviously she, like me, is questioning. But, I tried to play it off saying I hadn't decided yet, but the friend that I chat with often (let's call her C) answered at the same time. "Oh, she's probably questioning." Things got very quiet for a moment, then C realized I had not yet told my best friend. She looked at me and asked if I had and I awkwardly said no. So yeah, that's how I came out to my best friend.

My best friend is amazing. She looked at me, punched me in the arm, and said "So that's why you got kinda awkward when I said that last week. Don't you ever keep secrets from me again." Then she laughed at me a little and we went back to chatting.

Bottom line is, true friends, no matter their political views, their religion, etc, will accept you for you. If things seem awkward at first, they'll learn to look past it and love you for who you are. Something as stupid as who you love or the gender you identify as should not affect your friendship. And if it does, try to sit them down and talk it out. If that doesn't work, and they refuse to accept you, I admit, you've probably lost that friend. But despite being sad, you'll still have other friends or you can make new friends who will not only accept you, they'll support you and they'll love you like family. Because that's the true meaning of friendship.

Thank you for reading this. Happy Pride month, and good luck to all of you still in the closet. <3 I hope this helped any of you struggling with coming out. Just remember, the closet is no fun. It's dark, dusty, and full of spiders!