How I Came Out to a Restaurant...Sort Of

By Axel Falconswipe

~

HIYA! So I just read 'How Not To Come Out' and I was like: Oh! That reminds me of how I came out to one of my closest friends. Oh wait...that's not a pleasant memory.

One: My "friend" was horrified and she told me to get a ride home. Her parents drove me home (because they were accepting and they check up on me all the time ❤️️)

Two: I came out to not only my friend, but an entire fast food restaurant. Yeah...not pleasant in the slightest. So, I came out to my mom and dad before wanting to come out to my closest friend (at the time). We were at some kind of ice cream place, maybe DQ, I don't know. I was starting to bind my chest and looking into cheap binders I could buy online. My friend, Olivia (obviously not her real name), noticed and asked me about it while we were eating.

This is a run down of the conversation.

"So, did you, like, get something done to your chest?"

"Uh, no? Why?"

"It looks smaller? And I heard you asking about binders to your mom the other day."

"OH! Uhm...about that. Promise not to flip?"

"Obvs, girly. We're best buds!" (we were super weird. It makes me miss being friends with her sometimes)

"Okay....I'm transgender."

"You mean...you're now a male? Didn't you say to me that you were going to die a female?"

"I know, I know. But...that was before I actually questioned it."

"It might be a problem."

"Huh?"

"I mean...that's being a f**g."

"Are you...seriously saying I'm some kind of disease or something?"

"Yeah! You're a f**g. Find your own way home!"

Yeah....also didn't help that HALF THE RESTAURANT WAS LISTENING!! Her parents got me home and I was shattered to bits for days. But I got over it....except whenever I go near an ice cream place. Then I panic.