Chapter Seventeen

"Suyung.." my mother's soft voice rang in my ears. My eyes hurt. 

They fluttered open. Mom smiled and handed me some bread on a plate, but her smile was visibly forced. "You're almost late. I'm sorry if I woke you up at this time. Jungkook didn't come over to wake you up when you overslept." 

I pursed my lips and placed the plate on my bedside table, running my fingers through my hair. I hope I didn't look too tired. "He's busy. I'm going to get ready now." I stood up and turned my back on her. 

She sighed and nodded, exiting my room. 

Everything almost felt like a dream. Jungkook didn't come over.. I was late. Only me. I got ready and grabbed the bread on my bedside table, as I jogged my way to school. 

As I step foot in campus, the bell rang. I took a deep breath and hurried. Luckily, the teacher still wasn't there when I got inside the classroom. From the corner of my eye, I could see Jaehee sitting on her own. 

I bit my lip and placed my bag beside me, sitting on my seat as I greeted the teacher. 

It was recess, which means we only needed to eat inside the classroom. I took out some biscuits and a book for our next subject. I guess I had to pay attention to studying now, huh? 

As I bit on the biscuit, I started memorising phrases and words inside my mind for the test. I wanted to get my mind off them.. And studying was something I did to do it. 

"Hey." an unfamiliar voice said from beside me. I turned my head to see a classmate, I assume her name was Lisa, smiling at me. "You seem lonely today. You see, my best friend's absent for today. Is something the matter with you and Jaehee?" 

She smiled genuinely at me. She was a dancer, I knew that. And luckily, we already knew each other, so introduction was out of the way. I forced a smile. "Just an argument." 

She sighed and sulked on the seat. "It happens. Anyways, maybe we can hang out for the day, you know?" 

I shrugged and closed my book. "Sure." 

"You're actually studying?" she said, her chin resting on her palm. "You're like, what, top 2? You're so smart. Give me intelligence." she motioned her hand as if wanting me to give her something. 

I let out a soft laugh. "I'm only top 5. I have a long way to go." 

"Did you join the dance competition in Seoul two weeks ago?" I asked, looking up. 

She scoffed and blew some bangs out of her face. "I wish I did. I ran out of forms. I was so pumped up! But that's okay. I heard Jung Hoseok, the 2nd year, won first place, right?" 

I pursed my lips and nodded. "He did." 

"Your bracelet's adorable!" she grinned, her eyes landing on the clay bracelet around my wrist. Baekhyun still had the other one.. didn't he? "I think I've heard about it! It means you'll always love the person who's wearing the other one." 

I stayed quiet. 

"Ne, Suyung-ah, you're with someone, aren't you?" she wiggled her brows. I forced a smile and shook my head. 

"It's my first time hearing that tale." I lied. "I just found the bracelet really pretty. I didn't know it came in a pair." 

She shrugged. "Hmm. But that person must be really lucky if they end up with you." 

I sighed. 

Are they? 

The subjects passed by quickly, and soon enough, it was already lunch. Lisa waved at me, one of her hands gripping her bag strap.