Chapter Fifty-Five

The doctors insisted to take out the bullet and patch her up.

Mom, Dad, and Nami were outside. Their horrified faces when they saw her was something I couldn't take off my mind. The only thing keeping me sane at the moment was thinking about Jungkook's health and Taehyung's presence.

"They shot Jungkook." I breathed out, breaking the silence and trying not to flinch as the nurse started wrapping a gauze around my left hand. "Mina.. why did we let them get away?"

Taehyung held my other hand in reassurance. "Yuna, they didn't get away. The woman passed out, and the man probably did too. We passed by the cops... don't you remember?"

I pursed my lips and turned my head. Yes. I was really going crazy.

"I don't know anymore." I said quietly. I didn't know what to feel. "What about Nami?"

He stayed silent for a while. "It's hard - I don't want to ruin her childhood."

"But she's got to accept it." I pursed my lips and watched from afar as Mom and Dad started telling Nami what had happened. The look on her face as they spoke, I couldn't feel more guilty.

"Maybe if I acted quicker." I lowered my head and watched as the nurse stood up, excusing herself out of the room to call the doctor. My cheek stung, and I felt the bandaid on it move slightly when I chewed on my gums.

"Please don't think like that, Yuna." Taehyung moved his head so he can look me in the eyes. I wish I could just be happy.. What did I do to deserve this? "You might as well continue the path she put up for Nami."

My eyes slowly widened. "Act as her mother?"

"Growing up, she has to look up to someone. Someone who she can talk to like a mom.. someone she can depend on." he continued, "And Mina.. I think she'll be happy with that."

I felt myself nodding at his words. And soon enough, I was smiling. "You're right."

"The people behind this are most likely arrested." he pulled my hand up to his lips and kissed it.

"Miss Rhee?" a woman walked inside the clinic, giving me a questioning look. I nodded, assuming she was the doctor I had to have a small 'talk' with. She had a clipboard in her hands.

"This is a rare case when it comes to hand injuries." she started, "Unfortunately, the place wherein the knife cut through wasn't a good one."

I felt my heart beat faster, along with Taehyung squeezing my hand.

"And apparently, taking the knife out made it worse." I pursed my lips and started chewing on my gums out of nervousness. "This has caused you to have nerve damage."

"Nerve damage?" I questioned. "What does that do?"

It causes weakness, twitching, pain, and paralysis in the hand." she explained. "This decreases things you may be able to do, and it becomes more difficult to do things and actions with the said hand."

"It may be painful to hold something, or it will simply be to weak. Most of the time, it's numb and painful. So let things easy for now." she added.

"Is it permanent?" I asked.

"It depends." she replied. "As much as I don't want it to, yours might be. It's a much more severe case for a usual temporary injury."

"Alright." I nodded slowly, feeling my heart sink. "Thank you, doc."

She smiled. "Call me if you need anything."

"You'll do fine." Taehyung reassured. "I'm sure of it."