One Step Behind

Your POV:

"Draft day." I smiled and looked at my mom. "Mom stop crying."

"I'm sorry it's just. My baby might get drafted."

"Mom." I sighed. "I'm 21 now. Dom is your baby."

"He's 17. If you aren't a baby, neither is he." My dad grabbed my arm. "I'm proud of you. You worked hard for this."

"I did, but I couldn't have done this without you guys. And Dom, of course, he was a strange way of being motivating."

Kailen's POV:

"I'm nervous." I looked around. "All these talented players. 4 rounds. Some of us might not get picked."

"But you're gonna get picked." My mom smiled. "Oh, there's the L/N's!" She waved.

"Angela!" Y/N's mom walked over. "They need to start this thing already before I have a heart attack."

I laughed. "I feel it too." I looked around. "Where's Y/N?"

"She saw one of her teammates from USC. Ran off somewhere." She looked around. "Oh there she is." She pointed. Her back was to me.

"How can you tell?" I asked.

"First of all Kailen. I know my children. Second, that's her tattoo." She pointed to the mark on Y/N's arm.

I smiled. "She ended up getting it?"

"She did." Her mom smiled. "Looks like they're starting. Good luck Kailen. I know you're gonna get picked today. I feel it." She walked away.

Your POV:

I sat with my parents and near Morgan. "Wouldn't it be amazing if we went together?" She said. "Take our USC talents to the NWSL."

"You just want to be on the same team so I don't kick your ass."

"I don't like you." I laughed.

"With the 3rd pick in the 1st round of the 2017 NWSL College Draft, the Boston Breakers selected Morgan Andrews. University of Southern California."

I clapped. "Congrats!" I hugged her.

Morgan went up.

Pick girls got picked and the 1st round ended.

Then the 2nd round ended.

Still haven't gotten picked.

"It's coming." My mom squeezed my hand. "Be patient."

Kailen's POV:

"With the 3rd pick in the 3rd round of the 2017 NWSL College Draft, Sky Blue FC selects Kailen Sheridan. Clemson University."

I looked up. "What?" I looked at my mom and stood up. I hugged my parents and walked up to the mic.

Your POV:

"Yes, Kailen!" My mom clapped.

I laughed and clapped for her.

She spoke and then disappeared. Her parents walked over and sat with us.

"You're next." Her mom hugged me. "Remember when you were little?"

"Here comes Kailen." Your mom laughed as the young girl ran into the living.

"And where there is a Kailen, there is a Y/N close behind." Kailen's mom laughed. You ran in after your best friend.

"Always gonna be one step behind each other." Kailen laughed.

"Remember Dom's 6th birthday?" My dad laughed.

"Girls! Come get cake!"

"Here comes Y/N." A family friend looked. 10 year old you ran out to the backyard.

"Come on Kailen!" You yelled.

"And here comes Kailen."

"I'm coming!" Kailen ran to your side.

"Where there is a Y/N." My dad said. "There's a Kailen."

"Always one step behind each other." My mom said. "Your time is coming up."

More picks happened. The 3rd round was coming to an end.

"I'm not getting picked." I looked down.

"With the 10th pick in the 3rd round of the 2017 NWSL College Draft, Sky Blue FC selects Y/N L/N. University of Southern California."

I stood up. "Holy shit." My parents hugged me and I went up to the stage.

No one's POV:

"They're teammates again." Your mom smiled.

"This is how they come back together." Kailen's mom added.

You went back to meet the Sky Blue staff and other draft picks.

Kailen's POV:

"Hey stranger." Y/N walked up to me.

"Hey." I smiled. "Looks like we're together again."

"Look out New Jersey." She smirked. "Where there's a Kailen."

"There's a Y/N." I finished.