Too Late

"After your grandfather, you began to distance yourself from everyone. You told your dad it wasn't just because of your grandfather, but because of Kailen too. Why did that happen? What did she do that made you close yourself off?"

"She left." I said. "She wasn't there for me."

"How did you feel?"

"Alone."

"So that's why you closed yourself off?"

"If the person who was supposed to be my best friend wasn't even there, why would anyone else be there?"

Your POV:

"First start." Alanna patted my back. I looked at my jersey hanging in my locker. "It's a great feeling." She smiled.

I touched my jersey. "I can't wait to feel that." 

"Just keep the ball." Aubrey smiled. "Make my job easier."

"Leave the kid alone, Aubrey." Ali smiled. 

"Hey. What do Y/N and Caroline have in common?" Toni stood in the middle of the locker room. "They were both let go by Sky Blue." 

"That was low." Steph said. "Really low." 

"Yeah not cool." Ali shook her head.

"Did you ever try to talk to anyone? About how you were feeling?"

"I was feeling alone what do you think? I wasn't good enough for my mother, not important enough for Kailen, my brother is just a dingus, dad would probably send me to someone like you, and no actual friends at school." 

Kailen's POV:

"And we lost." Sam sat at her locker. "That sucks." 

"Still in a playoff spot." Kelley smiled. "Looking at the positives."

"How's Orlando?" Leah sat down and took her cleats off.

"Winning 2-0." Rocky answered. "Y/N is still playing." 

"Don't try to blame me for your problems Y/N." I scoffed. "That's all on you."

"Really?"

"You have other friends! Go talk to them!"

"I can't talk to them like I could talk to you! They don't pay attention when I talk until I'm done. They don't care." I looked at her. "It's easy to talk to you. Kailen you were my best friend. Where were you when I needed you the most?"

"You never needed me!"

"That's bullshit." I rolled my eyes. "After my grandfather? That sucks? Really Kailen? He loved you like you were his granddaughter too."

I looked away. "What do you want me to do? I'm sorry ok? I'm sorry your grandfather, the greatest human being on this planet, got sick and I'm sorry he passed. I'm sorry things aren't going the way you wanted them to go. Is that what you wanted to hear?"

"Yeah but then. Not now." She walked away.