Sweden

Kailen's POV:

I sat on the bench and watched the game. We were in the 2nd half against Sweden. 

Y/N was playing great.

And no I'm not just saying that because she's my girlfriend and love of my life.

She's a woman on a mission right now. She's been quiet since she talked to Spencer.

I know she made a choice. 

I also know that the choice involves her going to another country.

But spoiler alert. I'm prepared to support her every step of the way. She supports me.

I watched Sweden attack.

Then it happened.

Your POV:

Sweden scored.

They fucking scored.

I kneeled over. "Come on." I mumbled. There was a hand on my back and I looked up to see Sinclair. 

"Let's go." She said.

I nodded and stood up straight. Back to midfield. Game face on.

"Get it back." I clapped. "Come on." 

The game continued. We couldn't get anything going and new we were running out of time. 

I looked at the 4th official.

My number was up. I sighed and ran to her and walked to the bench. 

No one's POV:

"L/N sits down in what appears to be her last match at this world cup unless Canada can get the goal back." 

"And a shot. Flies over the crossbar and out for a goal kick. This is not going Canada's way tonight."

"There is the final whistle. The Canadian's will head home, Sweden advance to the next round!" 

Your POV:

I stood on the sidelines and stared at the Sweden players.

It's over.

My first World Cup, over just like that.

"We'll bounce back." Nichelle patted my back. 

Leon kept her head down. I sighed and walked to the tunnel. I heard people screaming for me, but I just wanted to get to the locker room.

Kailen's POV:

"Now what?" Jessie asked.

"We pick ourselves up and get ready for the Olympics." Steph walked toward us. "It's gonna hurt but you keep going. All you can do is learn from this and grow. Be ready for the next game. The next tournament." 

"I have to go check on Y/N."

"Go." Steph nodded. 

I headed down the tunnel and to the locker room. 

Y/N sat at her locker and stared at the wall. 

"How am I gonna make it in Spain when I can't even advance further in a World Cup? How am I gonna make it anyway."

"Babe." I sat next to her. "You're gonna make it because you're the best. This is on all of us. Not just you. It's not gonna be on you in Spain or anywhere else in the world. Win and lose as a TEAM. Yeah, you feel it as an individual but we all had a role to play and today we came up short."

"I missed a penalty, Kailen. A penalty that would've tied the game. Would've given us a chance and," She looked down. "I blew it. They trusted me with that penalty and I blew it." 

"Y/N. Are you up for a press conference or should I tell them no?"

"I'll go." She stood up. 

"You know I'm proud of you right." I said. "We all are. It's on everyone, Y/N. We all missed our chances."

"They don't have offers from two top clubs in Spain." She sighed and walked out. 

Your POV:

"Head coach Kenneth Heiner-Moller and striker Y/N L/N." I sat next to him.

"First question here."

"You had a chance to score and tie the game from the penalty spot. What was going through your head in that moment?"

"A lot. Mainly don't miss but I guess I messed with my own mind and we all saw the end result. I practice penalties all the time so to miss one at the biggest stage? It sucks. Knowing it could've given us a chance is a horrible feeling. I feel like I let my teammates down, my coaches, my family and everyone back home in Canada."

"Y/N your first World Cup was definitely a showcase of your talent, what was the highlight of this tournament for you?"

"Playing the game I love with this group. Yeah, I got to show people that I'm a serious player, but I got to play this beautiful game in France with my best friends."

"You did show people how serious you are, you got offers from a lot of top clubs. What is next for Y/N L/N."

"I have to let this loss settle in. It hurts to have the tournament end but someone had to lose today. First I'm going home to see my family. Rest up for a while and then get back to work. Wherever that is." I looked at the microphone. 

I made my decision. No one knows.

Not even Spencer.

"I'm ready for whatever challenge is ahead of me." 

Announcement next chapter!