Day One

"Kailen Sheridan. My office now. Throwing things in my class is unacceptable. I told you that if you acted up one more time I would call home."

"It wasn't her." I said. "I threw it. I'm sorry." Kailen looked at me. "Kailen tried to stop me, but I never listen to her."

"I expected better from you. Please stay after class, I'd like to talk with you." She got back to the class.

"Why'd you do that?" Kailen asked.

"If she called home, your mom wouldn't let you play this weekend. I can't play good when you're gone. I need my best friend there." 

Your POV:

"Welcome to Sky Blue FC preseason. If you're a rookie or you've been here since the start, this is the time to earn your spot. Play the soccer we all know you can play." We all nodded. "We're gonna start with some fitness testing, see where everyone is. Y/N, Kailen come here." 

We walked over. "A little bird tells me you two are best friends." Coach smiled.

"Uh." Kailen looked down. "I mean we were."

"It's been a while." I said. "5 years?" 

"Sounds right." Kailen nodded.

"So you aren't best friends?"

"We were. Not anymore though." Kailen said. I looked down. "Can I get to work now." 

"Yeah." She ran away.

"Have anything to add?" He looked at me.

"She said it all. We were best friends." I put my hands in my pockets. "Not anymore." 

Kailen's POV:

"I'm Leah. Nice to meet you."

"You too." I smiled. 

"Ready for your rookie year?"

"I've been dreaming of this my whole life." I looked over to Y/N. 

"Looks like Sam has a new friend." Leah laughed. 

Y/N and Sam were talking. Nikki and Kelley walked over. 

"Ok! Now that we all know each other let's get to work!" Coach said. 

Your POV:

"Congratulations rookies. Day 1 of your first NWSL preseason is over. Go home, rest up and be ready for day 2."

I got my gear and started leaving.

"Where are you living rookie?" Sam asked.

"I don't know yet." 

"You can stay at the frat house." Kelley smiled. "We have space."

"Plus we're thinking of fostering a dog this season." Nikki added.

"Really? You'd let me crash at the frat house?"

"We have an Aussie and Americans. We need a Canadian." Kelley smiled. "We don't bite."

"Sure. Thanks." 

We all left and I saw Kailen. "Hey." She smiled.

"Hi." 

"Crazy huh? We're playing in the NWSL." 

"Yeah, it's something." I nodded. 

"Y/N! The frat house awaits!" Sam yelled.

"I better go. See you tomorrow." I walked away.

Kailen's POV:

"What even happened between you two?" Rocky asked.

"We were best friends, then we went to high school."

"And?"

"And we realized that sometimes, high school friends aren't gonna be your lifelong friends. People change." 

"Promise we'll always be friends?" I asked.

"Best friends." She smiled.

"Good because this is scarier than I thought, and I need my best friend with me."

"I'm not going anywhere." She put her arm around my shoulders. "You are my goalkeeper. Even though I'm a forward, I still have to protect my keeper. I got your back Kailen. This is our field now. Let's crush it."