Chapter Eighteen

Peeta POV-

"I'm not leaving until I talk to you." Katniss says softly.

My throat feels dry and I swallow hard but it helps nothing.

"Can we please talk?" Katniss asks into my chest, dampening my shirt with her tears.

"Yes, but I need to do all the talking." I say, knowing that I need to try explain myself even though I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to say or if it would even be appropriate to share the complete truth about my feelings for her.

There's still a possible chance that she will reject me and that would definitely be the end of our friendship I assume.

She shakes her head and we pull away.

I grab her hand in mine and stare down at her hand, "I am the one who caused all this mess and I am so sorry, Katniss." I say genuinely, wanting her to know I mean every word.

She squeezes my hand and I lead her out of the bakery and into my house.

I sneak her into my room and she sits on my bed.

I start to pace back and forth until I realize that I'm going to get no where until I look her in the eyes and let the words fall out of my mouth.

I kneel down in front of her, finally ready for whatever is to happen.

She refuses to look me in the eyes and I don't blame her.

It's hard enough for me to look her in the eyes after what I've done.

I grab her small, warm hands in my much bigger one and lift up her chin with my other hand, "Katniss, look at me. Please?" I beg her.

She turns her head.

"Please? I want you to know I mean every word I'm about to say." I tell her and she shakes her head as tears fall down her face.

I stroke her cheek softly with my hand, so sad but so happy to see her in the flesh.

The first time in a week and it's been the longest week of my life.

I forgot how flawless she is.

"I am so sorry." I choke out.

She shakes her head, trying to break away our hands but I don't budge.

"I am sorry that I left you when you needed me. I promised you that I would always be there for you and I wasn't there for you." I begin.

Katniss still refuses to look at me.

"I'm scum for that, I know I am." I admit to her and this makes her eyes brighten up as if she wants to laugh but I keep going.

"The only reason I left that night was because I was thinking about myself that night. Not about you. I don't know exactly what the issue you were having that night was but I know that I made it a lot worse for you."

She has tears falling down her face and I feel some spring up in my eyes at the sight.

I take a deep breath, preparing to tell her the truth.

No more lies, even if it means our friendship ends.

"I overheard your conversation with Johanna. I know that you found someone and I got jealous when I should have been happy for you. I'm so sorry that I freaked out. I'm sorry I left."

She freezes.

"I know that what I said probably ruined my friendship with you but I couldn't hold it in any longer. I should've told you that after I left and calmed down. I am sorry that I hurt you and I am sorry I wouldn't speak to you. We have known each other for a two weeks now and one of them I was being the most cowardly person." I admit to both her and myself.

"That week we were friends was the absolute best week of my entire life and I wish that I could go back and change the way I acted. Get this last week back but I can't. I am so so sorry." I say, hoping she understands how truly bad I feel.

About then, hot tears begin falling down my cheeks in a slow but steady motion.

That is when she pulls my head into her lap. I wrap my arms around her waist and she hugs my big, stupid head, softly caressing my face and crying into my back.

I don't know how long we sit here like this, crying and holding on to one another, even though it's all been blown out of proportion.

But I've been crying for weeks about it.

After a while, Katniss breaks the silence, "I am sorry." She whispers.

I look into her beautiful gray eyes that are filled with tears and wipe a stray one away.

"No, Katniss. Please, do not be sorry because I am the one that caused all of this. Do not be sorry." I whisper to her.

She ducks her head back down onto my back, "You're not selfish, Peeta. Stop saying it and stop saying you're sorry." Katniss scolds me.

"I am sorry, Katniss. And I am so selfish, you have no idea." I state.

We sit there for along time, just holding onto one another and she finally breaks the silence again.

"Peeta? I know it's late but I don't want to leave until we fix this." She says nervously.

"I want to fix us." I tell her softly.