Chapter Fifty-Two

Katniss POV- (A week later)

I'm sitting at lunch with the group and Peeta.

I'm sitting next to Annie and Finnick and Peeta sits across from me.

He doesn't make eye contact and doesn't talk and neither do I.

It's been this way for a week now.

All of a sudden, the conversation dies down completely.

I can feel tons of eyes on me but I keep my head down and pick at my food.

Johanna slams her hand on the table, making us all jump.

"Katniss, you and Peeta need to get back together already." Johanna says, getting right into my face.

I freeze, my heart racing.

"I don't know why the hell you two broke up but I know you both love each other way too much to throw it all away for some dumb ass reason." She tells us angrily and leaves.

I don't speak and neither does Peeta.

I can't speak of Peeta without crying and I'll be damned if I cry in front of the whole school and the boys.

The girls are a little different but I'd rather not cry in front of them either.

Crying is something to be done alone.

And crying in front of people is for the weak.

I have to stand my ground and I can't show weakness at the moment.

Gretta has already been eating this up.

She's been all over Peeta and even meaner to me.

I inhale deeply and clench my jaw as I try to get up.

Finnick stops me.

"You need to work this all out. Neither of you will tell us what happened but I know that it must be stupid because I know neither of you would break up so easily. As much as I get annoyed by all your lovey shit, I do it too with Annie so I can't complain. I hate seeing both of you like this and it needs to be fixed and you both know it." Finnick speaks up this time.

I will not cry.

Right about then I feel hot tears begin to roll down my face.

They are absolutely right.

I broke up with Peeta for possibly the stupidest reason.

Plus, I should've know that we wouldn't go back to our old lives after breaking up. Our normal lives involve each other and being happy together.

We love each other too much.

Peeta POV-

Katniss is crying, right here in front of everyone and I'm shocked.

It takes all I have to not run over to her and take her in my arms and tell her that it will be okay.

That we will be okay.

To remind her how much I love her, even if she did break up with me.

I want to tell her how sorry I am and that I have been stupid.

I am a stupid person for letting her go so easily.

If I wouldn't have let her leave, she wouldn't have broken things off.

I don't budge as she runs off to the bathroom, knowing that she's completely humiliated.

Prim POV-