Chapter Fifty-Three

Katniss POV-

Someone comes into my room.

Before I can tell them to leave or anything, I hear Prim speak up, "Katniss, I need to talk to you. You don't have to reply but just listen."

I don't move a muscle.

Maybe she will think I'm asleep and leave, but she doesn't.

"I went to see Peeta earlier." She informs me and my heart skips a beat at his name.

"Katniss, he needs you. You need him and I need you both."

She sighs, sitting down.

"I need you to try to get back with him. Please, just try to do it for yourself? Try for me and most importantly try for Peeta. I know how much you love him and don't want him hurting." Prim stops and begins again, "He doesn't want you hurting either, Kat. He asked me to let you know that he misses you so much and to tell you that he loves you. And I know you love him too." Prim says.

I stay silent and try not to move.

I succeed.

"If you don't get back together soon, you're going to regret breaking up with him for the rest of your life. Don't do that to yourself for to Peeta. You're meant to be together whether you agree or not."

After a long silence, I think she's left, but speaks up again.

She probably knows I'm awake.

"And he is a part of us all now whether you like it or not, he's apart of our family."

I swallow hard.

"I know you don't want him to let go of his chance but if he wants to, then let him. He is willing to give up everything to be with you. He loves you and wants the best for you and I know you want the best for him. Peeta is what is best for you and you are what's best for him. You two need to come to a decision and as long as you are with each other you will be perfectly fine." Prim says angrily.

Again, she's wise beyond her years.

I hear her get up and leave my room, slamming my door shut, causing me to jump.

I roll my eyes and come out from under the covers, the cold air hits my face.

Prim is right.

We need each other.

As long as we have each other, we will be perfectly fine whether we are together or not.

That's when I remember our promise to be best friends no matter what happened in our relationship.

I remember our dandelions.

My promise ring.

Those many promises, we broke when I broke up with Peeta and when he didn't even fight back.

Peeta POV- (On the phone with UP)

"Hello, this is Peeta Mellark." I say into the phone.

"Hello, Mr. Mellark. How can I help you?" Asks the receptionist at the University of Panem.

"I would like to give up my position in the program."

The lady pauses a moment.

"Mr. Mellark, is there a reason that you have decided to give up your full ride?"

"Yes." I say.

"Can you give me the reasoning for our paperwork?"

I take a long, deep breath.

"You didn't accept the girl I love." I say simply, needing not to further explain myself, so I hang up.

I'm going to go to a school that takes us both, not one that sees my worth and not hers.