Chapter Forty-Four

Katniss POV-

Peeta just gave my mom and sister gifts and it makes me so happy to see them smiling and grateful.

All of a sudden, I'm pulled from my thoughts when I feel Peeta take my hand.

"Katniss?" He says, grabbing my attention.

That's when he begins to pour his heart out to me in front of everyone in the square.

By the time he is through, I am bawling happy tears and I'm not sure why he's doing it but I don't even care.

Even if his words were my gift, I would take it over something tangible any day.

Especially after the time I've had lately.

Just as I'm about to thank him, he pulls out a box and gets down on one knee.

My heart freezes and I see him give my mom a look for assurance and she nods.

And that's when he begins, "Katniss, I know we are young but I don't care. With your mother's permission and your's, I wanted to take the first big step in our relationship."

Is he proposing?

"No matter what we face, if you want it to, I want to know if one day, eventually, you might want to have more than this?" He asks me with a little laugh, so much hope in his eyes.

I turn to see my mother is in tears and she's nodding, telling me to agree.

I can't speak but I am crying and shaking.

He stands up and looks into my eyes, kind of disappointed.

"I know we are young and have only been dating 15 months, but we still have the rest of this year, college and after before we have to do anything more." He starts.

"It's just a promise ring." He says, doubting himself.

He starts to talk again but I cut him off with my lips.

Shocked, he kisses back just seconds later and I wrap my arms around his neck, giving him an answer to remember.

He smiles against my lips and I pull away, laughing.

"I'm hoping that's a 'yes'?" Peeta asks me, laughing.

I nod my head and kiss him again.

Everyone is still silent.

I glance around the room and everyone is on the edge of their seats, waiting.

I let go of Peeta and he kneels back down in front of me.

Taking my hand and pulling the ring out of the box and slides it onto my right ring finger.

"I promise to be there for you and love you until we do decide the time is right to promise each other forever. I promise until that time comes, to love you and serve you in any way that I can. I love being your best friend and I know that will never ever change." He tells me with a smile.

I smile back.

"I love you." He whispers.

"I love you too, Peeta." I cry shakily.

With that, everyone cheers and he jumps back up, hugging me tightly, spinning me around and kissing my cheek.

We look around and everyone is smiling happy, clapping and some even cry.

Afterwards, Prim jumps into my arms, hugging me happily.

"Katniss! I didn't know he was gonna do that!" She says softly.

I laugh, wiping away some more tears, "Neither did I." I say truthfully, putting her back down.

She jumps into Peeta's arms now.

My mother stands up and embraces me.

She's crying too but I can tell it's because she's truly happy.

"You knew?" I ask her.

"I knew." Mom says, hugging me tight.

She kisses my cheek, "I love you so much." She whispers softly to me.

"I love you too."

We let go of each other and Peeta embraces me again, giving me a loving kiss on my forehead.

"I love you so much." I cry happily.

"I love you too but stop crying." He laughs, wiping my tears off with the sleeve of his coat.

I laugh, "I'm sorry but I'm just so happy." I say truthfully too.

"Me too." He assures me as we share a long hug.

"I thought you were gonna break up with me."

Peeta's blue eyes grow wide, "Definitely not. Ever." He assures me.

"Good."

Many people come up to us and congratulate us and tell us how delighted they are that there is still such a thing as true love.

It makes me truly happy to see complete strangers can see Peeta and I's love.

This Christmas goes down as my favorite Christmas.