Chapter Fifty

Katniss POV-

"Hey!" Peeta greets me as I walk into the bakery.

"Hi, Peeta." I say, giving his cheek a kiss.

"Can we talk up in my room?" He asks me nervously.

"Uh, sure. Let's go." I say and we head up the stairs to his house and into his room.

I sit on his bed and he takes a letter from his desk, sitting next to me and giving me an unsure look.

He turns to me, a takes a breath.

"I got this today in the mail." Peeta says and places the letter into my hands.

It's a letter identical to my own.

I open the letter and read over it and gasp.

"Peeta, that is wonderful!" I squeal.

"Thanks." He smiles, giving me a hug.

"Have you gotten anything from them?" He asks me.

I then remember my letter and I suddenly feel really really doubtful.

What if I didn't get accepted?

"No, I haven't but maybe soon though." I lie.

Peeta has always wanted to go to this school and if I didn't make it in, he won't go.

I have to buy myself some time.

Open the letter on my own so that I can figure out what to do if I don't get in.

"Well, do you wanna go out tonight to celebrate?" He asks me, smiling.

He's so proud of himself and I'm so proud too but I just I'm scared that I didn't get in.

It's going to crush him.

"I would love to but I haven't been feeling all that great today. I have had an awful headache." I say.

"Oh, okay. That's fine. Have you taken any medicine?" He asks me worriedly.

"No but I will go home and take some." I say, walking towards his door.

He grabs my hand and pulls me to him.

"Katniss, are you sure that you're okay?" Peeta asks suspiciously and I turn and face him.

"I am fine. I promise. Hey, I am super proud of you, Peeta." I say but I can't look him in the eyes.

He will be crushed if I didn't get accepted.

"You know, I can read you like a book and I know you are lying if you can't look me in the eyes." He says, I can see he's trying to be patient but it's twiddling down quickly.

"I'm sorry, Peeta. I just need to be alone right now, okay?" I say with a sigh.

"Just please tell me if you're truly sick or what is wrong because I want to help you." He says.

"I really don't feel great. I just wanna go home." I say softly.

Peeta frowns, looking discouraged.

Some girlfriend I am.

He wanted to celebrate his achievement and I'm avoiding him.

"Just text me when you get home and I will see you soon." Peeta tells me as I walk out.

"I love you." I say, my throat dry.

I am hoping to have been accepted but there's a chance I wasn't and I'm scared to death.