Chapter Forty-Three

Peeta POV- (Christmas Day)

Today is Christmas and I have never been more excited and nervous.

This morning everyone in the little village is gathering around the large Christmas tree in the middle of town and opening one present.

And it works perfectly because we aren't opening anything until we get back tomorrow but I brought one of Katniss' gifts, as well as one for Prim and Mrs. Everdeen.

(Later that day)

I'm about to give Katniss her gift and I am shaking like crazy and I think she knows something is up because she keeps giving me looks but I don't think she knows about the gifts I brought along.

She's been absorbed watching all the smiling children and adults who open their gifts, she looks really happy.

I smile, just watching her get so excited, especially when the kids open their presents.

"That little girl is adorable. Look." Katniss whispers excitedly, pointing to a toddler in a lemon yellow coat.

I glance over and see the toddler making faces at Katniss and Katniss makes them back, causing the little girl to laugh and laugh.

She takes my hand.

I'm sweating but I'm hoping they hurry and get to us before she realizes.

About ten minutes later, it's our turn.

"It is this lovely families turn!" The announcer says happily.

"Oh, we left everything at home. We are going to celebrate to-" I cut her off.

"Actually, I did get you three something." I tell her.

Everyone's eyes are on us.

Mrs. Everdeen looks at me and smiles gratefully as I pull out her and Prim's present and hand them to them.

Katniss watches happily as they open their gifts and hugs me, "That was so sweet, Peeta." She grins.

My heart is pounding and Mrs. Everdeen gives me a nod.

Urging me to do what we had spoke of a few weeks earlier.

After a thanks from Prim and Mrs. Everdeen, I turn to Katniss.

She has the biggest smile on her face as she looks at her mother and sister so happy, she has no idea and doesn't even look bothered that I seemed to have forgotten her, but I haven't.

I take a deep breath and hope I don't mess this up or this is going to be really embarrassing, especially with all of these strangers watching.

"Katniss?" I say softly, grasping her attention and taking her hand in mine.

She turns to me and everyone in the room falls silent.

I look into her eyes and know that if I just focus on her, that I won't think about everyone watching me and it'll make this a lot easier.

I swallow hard.

This is it.

This is the first step into our future.

"You are my best friend."

She laughs awkwardly.

"I love you more than I could ever have imagined loving anyone. You are my rock and my everything and you make me happier than you'll ever know. Thank you for being the best girl imaginable and for loving me and showing me what true love is." I say shakily.

Before I know it, she has tears streaming down her face and no one in the room dares to move, let alone breathe.

Every pair of eyes are focussed on us but it still feels as if it's just me and Katniss and no one else.

I pull the box from my pocket and I get down on one knee...