Chapter Sixty-Six

Peeta POV-

"Here we go." Katniss mumbles as we pull into her driveway.

"I mean, the worst she can do is say 'no.'" I say truthfully.

"Yeah but she can't even say that." Katniss says cockily.

If I know one thing about my girlfriend, it is that she is very stubborn and most of the time won't take 'no' for an answer, at least without a fight.

"Hey, if your mom says 'no' don't freak out. I know it's your choice but please don't make a big deal about it." I beg her, not wanting any drama to come from this.

Katniss shrugs, "I am making no promises but we will see. Let's go, because we won't know her answer until we ask." She says, getting out of the car.

I immediately follow her up the steps and into her house.

"Mom! Peeta and I need to talk to you." She hollers and we go sit on the couch.

"You're making this sound really serious." I murmur to her with a laugh.

She shrugs her shoulders, "Maybe she will think I'm pregnant." She snorts.

"Um, let's not make her think that." I say right about the time Mrs. Everdeen walks into the living room.

"What is going on?" She asks us.

"Mom, now you can't freak out." Katniss starts, making it sound more serious than it really is-obviously on purpose.

"Why? What did you do?" Mrs. Everdeen asks us, her eyebrows raised.

"Just promise me?" Katniss says, bored.

"Okay, I promise not to freak out but please, tell me you aren't pregnant?" Mrs. Everdeen's eyes narrow at me.

My eyes widen and I shake my head vigorously and Katniss bursts out laughing.

I don't know why she thinks that is funny.

"No, she is not pregnant. Right, Katniss?" I say seriously.

She scoffs, "Yeah, I'm not pregnant. But we need to tell you some good news."

Good news?

Then I realize, she's probably talking about college.

"Peeta and I have been accepted into a college in District 5 and we will be leaving in August." She says proudly.

I smile and look at Mrs. Everdeen.

"Oh my, this is wonderful. I am so happy for you both."

"And......" Katniss pauses.

"And?" Mrs. Everdeen repeats.

"Peeta and I were thinking about finding an apartment somewhere in District 12 for the summer before college and we were wanting your thoughts?" Katniss asks nervously but ready to pounce, if needed.

Katniss's mom sighs and she looks down at her shoes.

Katniss and I exchange a few worried, confused glances. 

"Well?" Katniss asks, after a few minutes of awkward silence.

She takes a deep breath, "I trust you, Peeta and I think that would be okay if you two found an apartment together. You're both adults so there is no stopping you even if I was not okay with it." She says, still sounding a bit unsure.

"Really?" I ask her.

"Of course. You have never given me a reason to not trust you with my daughter and you're both officially adults now."

Katniss jumps up exitedly, "Thank you so much! I promise you, we won't screw anything up." Katniss assures her.

I stand up too, "Thank you, Mrs. Everdeen." I say as Katniss hugs me tightly.

"When will this be happening?" Mrs. Everdeen asks.

"I am not really sure. I guess whenever we find a nice apartment but I say we go look soon?" I suggest.

"That sounds wonderful, Peeta. Well, thank you both for not announcing a pregnancy and congrats on college but I must go finish helping Primrose with packing to stay with Rue for the week." She smiles happily and exits.

"Peeta...?" Katniss whines.

She wants something.

"What, Princess?" I tease.

"We should go look online for house decoration stuff things." She bats her eyelashes.

"House decoration stuff things?" I ask her with a laugh.

"Yeah." Katniss pouts her lip.

I laugh and shake my head at her, then I give in.

"Fine. Let's go, this should be fun." I say and she smiles satisfied, dragging me to her computer that is sitting on the kitchen table.

"How many rooms?"

I shrug, unsure. "I guess two bedrooms and then there will be a kitchen, bathroom and living room?"

She nods, "Okay, what colors should our stuff be?"

"I don't care, whatever you like. Remember we can't buy too many things because we won't live there long. Look for things we can use there and college." I suggest to her.

"I'm sorry, Peeta. I'm just really excited." Katniss admits.

I laugh, "You're fine. I'm excited too." I say, kissing her cheek.

"I wonder if we will get to share a dorm in college?"

I shrug, "I don't know but it doesn't hurt to ask."

"If we aren't, it's gonna suck." She laughs.

"Language." I tease her.

Katniss laughs, rolling her eyes.

"But yes, I would agree it would definitely suck." I say.

She gives me a laugh and turns back to her computer, scrolling through things.

"We need to decorate with your paintings." Katniss suggest.

"That would be awesome. We can hang up our dandelions too and they can finally be next to each other."

Katniss laughs, "That would be cute."

After a few hours of online window shopping, she doesn't find much so we decide to stop.

"Are you staying here tonight?" She asks.

"Uh, I'm not sure. If you want me to I can but if you don't, I'll go." I say, already knowing her answer.

"I mean it's your choice but I would really like you to." Katniss smiles shyly.

"Then, I guess if it's okay with your mom, then I will stay."

"Okay, I'll be right back!" She says and runs out of the room.

She returns a few seconds later, "Duh."

"I'm gonna go get changed. I'll be right back. Do you need anything to change into?" She asks.

"Okay and yes." I say.

Katniss smiles embarrassedly.

I laugh a little, "I mean I'm sure you have something I can wear, being that you have most of my wardrobe." I tease her.

I actually think it's cute she wears my clothes but I love teasing her and she loves teasing me.

Her face gets beat red, "I do." She says and runs upstairs.