Hotel California [Krii7y]

1000 words

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John drove on the highway, the roof rolled down so the wind could run through his blonde and white hair, his shades on and enjoying life.

He'd been driving from place to place recently on his way to the 5 star hotel in California, but he had to stop for gas.

Across the street from the gas station was a hotel that he though looked like a palace, like a very old hotel. Looked fancy enough.

He looked a little closer and saw a young man in the doorway of the hotel, he was minding his own business but then he looked over and locked eyes with John. John could swear he saw the man wink at him and make the 'follow me' hand motion, John got into his car and parked in the hotel parking lot.

"Hi, I'm Smitty welcome, wanna stay a few nights?"

that was fast.

"I'm John, how much?"

"it's pretty cheap, I'll let the manager tell you prices, then you can check in." Smitty said winking at the end.

"okay"

John followed him into the hotel, the price for a decent room for the three nights he wanted to stay was cheap, he looked around the lobby to see it was very posh, and expensive looking.

"all you have to do is sign here" Smitty said pointing at the check in and out book

"why? don't you have computers?"

"it's only binding if you sign"

those words echoed through out John's mind.

He signed the paper.

Smitty took him to his room then after he put his bags away he was given a tour by Smitty.

John found that odd, only historical hotels and places give tours, maybe this place was a popular place, but it seemed that John was the only one here.

Smitty had to do something and he left John alone for a moment, John sat in the lobby on one of the soft chairs by a fireplace. He heard voices in the hallway, he went closer to hear what they were trying to say.

"Welcome to the hotel California."

"what...?"

"Welcome to the hotel California"

John walked away and bumped into Smitty

"sorry, I wasn't looking were I was going"

"it's fine, just stop snooping on guests silly."

Smitty laughed and dragged John away from that hallway.

The day was spent inside the hotel with Smitty.

Smitty then walked with John to his room's door.

"John I really like you, I think you got some spice"

"well I'd say the same about you, you're pretty mysterious"

Smitty laughed and waved him goodbye, John locked his door and got ready for bed.

John awoke in the middle of the night, he heard a voice from the room next to him through the wall, he put his ear up against the wall.

he could hear a muffled

"Welcome to the hotel California"

He jolted back from the wall and heard a voice right outside his door, he pressed his ear up against the door and heard a very clear voice say

"Welcome to the hotel California" 

John was weirded out, he looked through the little looking glass to see nobody standing outside his door.

John tried to sleep but he was creeped out and those voices kept talking to him all night long.

Smitty knocked on his door in the morning

"wakey wakey!"

John got ready and left his room Smitty dragged him to the breakfast area, John ate and hung around the hotel, for some reason he felt like he wanted to stay in the hotel not go outside.

plus it was raining, thunder storming outside.

Night fall came and they were hosting a dance floor, music played and workers and some old residents danced the night away, John felt happy, he asked the manager for wine.

"we haven't had that spirit here since 1969"

"oh."

John drank some wine and danced the night away.

A few more days went by, longer than John thought it was. He got no sleep from those voices and he was starting to feel cramped, like he's stuck in a small box.

he started to pack his bags when Smitty walked in.

"John, what are you doing?"

"packing"

"why?"

"it's been longer than three days Smitty"

"you can't leave me"

"Smitty, I like you, you're an amazing person... so pretty and nice but I must continue my traveling. call me though"

John handed him his phone number, Smitty stopped him from going back into his room.

"We are all prisoners of our own device."

"what?"

"John I have to tell you the truth"

"what truth?"

"this place isn't what you think it is"

"yea I've noticed"

"In the master's chamber, they gathered for the feast, they stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast"

Just then John understood, this place wasn't a happy place. terrible stuff happened here years ago, well more than years ago.

John turned to his bags, he sighed then pushed Smitty out of the way, he ran down the stairs and went to the check out table.

"let me sign the paper, It's time for me to check out"

John said trying to sound calm and not rushed.

"Relax" said the man

"we are programmed to receive."

"just let me leave!" John half shouted, the man laughed

"you can check out any time you like."

"good"

"but you can never leave"

John grabbed the checking book from his hands and saw there was no 'check out' column

"welcome to the hotel California." The man said with a wide smile.

John rushed out the doors into the rain, he was soaking already but he didn't care, he forgot about his car and tried to run to the gas station to call a taxi or something but it felt like a wall was blocking him from leaving the plaza...

he sat on the curb, Smitty's voice in his head

"it's only binding if you sign"

A/N

based off a song: Hotel California by the Eagles.

now I know the song isn't about a real hotel and shit but, I thought it sounded like a cool story :D