Muted Television [Krii7y]

sorry school is really busting my ass, sorry I've been gone for long periods of times.

1000 words

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Smitty cried to himself in the back of the car, he knew the next few months were going to be terrible, at least from what he knows he assumed it was going to be bad, just the thought of living in a building with others all trying to get healthy and get over whatever they had seemed like torture to him.

"We're here."

Smitty wiped his eyes and took a couple breaths in before opening the car door and stepping out, the lady who drove him took out a few suitcases and gave him one to roll into the building, inside the lady checked him in and hugged him tight.

"I love you, I'll check on you every weekend I promise, be good."

She kissed her son's forehead then left him alone with a male nurse who smiled at him, he took Smitty's stuff and gestured for him to follow.

They walked into an empty room with only a bed, closet and dresser, Smitty teared up looking at the sad sight. He unpacked his things like the nurse instructed then sat on the surprisingly comfortable bed.

"Get used to your room, I'll come back soon to take you to relax time with everyone else."

Smitty nodded and laid in his bed, looking at the ceiling fan spin slowly, but when he looked away it spun quickly, he kept darting his eyes back and fourth until someone knocked on the door, Smitty sat up as a female nurse opened the door.

"Let's go, time to meet people and relax."

Smitty followed her out into an open room, a big comfty couch with all types of people sitting on it or on bean bag chairs beside it, a few people sitting at a table doing a puzzle and a single person sitting at another table working on his own puzzle, Smitty smiled and walked over to him.

Smitty sat and put out his hand for a hand shake, the other man shook his hand and smiled.

"I'm John, I'm here recovering from a big accident and I'm temporarily deaf, after my leg heals and I can walk again I can get the ear surgery."

John smiled at Smitty which made his heart race, he nodded in response.

"can you write your name down here? and why you're here? if you're okay with saying..."

Smitty happily took the pencil and shakily wrote his name out, Smitty was here for many reasons head trauma, injuries to his arm and legs, a back injury but he was mainly here to recovery from the intense surgey on his throat, after the car crash he needed a metal pipe removed from his throat which damaged his vocal cords. 

Smitty admitted it sucks not to be able to talk, or when he tries nothing comes out but it'll eventually come back after a few months, hopefully.

John read and almost teared up, he wiped his eyes and stared at Smitty's green bright eyes.

"I'm sorry, but.. we can be friends? you can help me finish this puzzle!"

Smitty nodded and started to build a puzzle with John, listening to the sound of people laughing at the tv, and loud noises making him constantly look over to see what exciting thing they were watching, but noticing that John never turned around, never was bothered by the laughter or any noises.

Smitty frowned but kept helping with the puzzle.

the days went by and they got closer, Smitty met others like Evan who was in a wheelchair after a sky diving incident, and a few people like Ryan and Brock recovering substance abusers who seemed healthy and happier now than ever, one of the funniest people in the building was a mentally disturbed girl named Jess, she was suicidal and here to recover after an attempt.

Smitty loved John, in more than a friend way, he could picture a life with John a future with him and being a loving boyfriend, Smitty would get so nervous around John and so clumbsy.

Smitty was reading a book in his small room when he heard a knock, Smitty marked his page and opened the door and was greeted with a John who hugged him quickly.

Smitty's face went red and parted from the hug, John smiled and his face burned.

"I wanted to hang out for the night, I asked nurse Luke and he said it would be fine I just have to leave before 2 am, and we can't be loud but I doubt that would be a concern."

Smitty smiled and pulled out a board game from under his bed and set it up on the floor, they sat opposite sides of the board and started to play, John started announcing the game and moves they'd make like a 70's announcer, Smitty laughed without noise but you could tell he was loving it.

"Annnnd Smitty threw the die under the bed, ohhhh he's reaching for the die he's reaching for it and what's the number, a 1 and the other die is also a 1 awww snaaaake eyes better lucky next time"

John laughed at himself as he tried to roll for his turn but failed and just dropped them, he laughed and picked up the dice.

Smitty wiped his eyes from tears of laughter and and John held the dice in his hand firmly, he leaned forward so their faces were closer together, Smitty's face went bright red.

"Aaaand he's leaning in, will the other one lean in toooo?"

Smitty leaned closer and there wasn't much space in between them anymore, both of their faces rose red, breath giving wach other goosebumps

"Annnnd he's going in for the goal, will he score?"

Smitty closed the gap and kissed John slowly, unsure of what was happening.

John pulled them apart and smiled, licking his lips.

"Goooalll!!"

Smitty smiled and pushed the board out of the way and scooted closer to John who happily kissed him again.