Chapter 6

Tarzana

After leaving Chris's house, I ended up taking a taxi to my parents house. I was so embarrassed for my parents to see the mascara tracks running down my face. It was late, and I was cold. I knocked on my parents door feeling ashamed.

It was already passed 2:30 in the morning, when my father Leroy came to the door gripping his pistol.

"Who is it?" His deep voice boomed through the door.

"It's me, Zana!" I yelled back.

"Zana who?"

"Daddy open the damn door." I said with my hands on my hips.

Finally, daddy opened the door holding his pistol by his side, "Lord child, you was about to get shot coming 'round here late! Get your ass in here."

I walked in and set down on the sofa.

"I don't even want to know what happened, as long as he didn't hit you. Did he hit you Zana bear?"

I shook my head no.

"Good, we'll talk in the morning, you go on up stairs and get you some rest. Your mama will have a million and one questions once the sun is up." Daddy said pointing to the stairs. "Good night."

I walked up the stairs, and all the while it felt like the walk of shame. Here I was back at my parents house, manless, and homeless, because there was no way I was taking my ass back to Rick's house. He has embarrassed me enough already. And the fact that he fucked another bitch only added icing to my already fucked up cake.

I walked to my old room, turning on the light. Nothing had changed. I still had my dolls in the corner of my room, with pictures of Kiara and I hanging all over the place. I picked up my favorite teddy bear that was given to me in high school by my high school sweetheart. I hugged him tight and lay down on the bed to cry myself to sleep.
***

"Good morning Mama." I said walking into the kitchen sitting down on the counter.

"Girl, if you don't get your grown ass off my counter I know something." She swatted my leg with the spatula. "Zana, I will tear them hine legs up!"

I laughed and got up to sit at the kitchen table. "I'm sorry that I came over so late."

"What happened Zana?" She asked me making me a plate of whatever she was cooking.

"I really don't want to talk about it."

My brother Carson walked in the kitchen, and completely ignored me."what's up ma?"

"Am I not sitting here?"

Carson threw a napkin at me, "I see your big headed ass. I don't appreciate you waking me up out my sleep this morning, banging on the door like you're the police. You lucky pop answered the door, because if I would have you wouldn't be sitting here, you would've been at the city morgue."

"Boy quit!" I rolled my eyes at him.

Carson and I were three years apart. Carson was the oldest, and still lived at home with our parents. He was a hustler of some sort, and kept money in his pocket, but nobody knew exactly what kind of hustle he was really doing.

We had always been close, kind of best friends even. But the older the two of us got, the more differences we had. Especially about Rick. Carson had forbid me from seeing Rick four years ago, and that put a strain on our relationship.

"What happened, he put you out?" Carson laughed. But I could tell in his eyes that he really wanted to know.

I sighed, "Carson not today, alright?"