68

Eric

Hearing of one of my homeboy's dying put me in a fit of pain and hurt. Carson and I may have had our differences but that was still my boy. I would've went to war for him. I had a funny feeling that the person behind Carson's death could be someone close to him.

Kiara and I arrived to The Andrews home and parked behind a row of cars in front of the house. We were both wearing black to mourn his death. I had been emotional lately after hearing the news about Carson. Kiara and I tried reaching out to Zana, but our calls and visits went unanswered. I knew how she was feeling, and I didn't blame her from shutting out the world.

We walked inside of the house, family and friends mourning, and eating. Mrs. Andrews set silently beside her husband, holding his hand with tears streaming down her face.

"Hey, Mr and Mrs. Andrews." I said holding onto Kiara's hand. Mrs. Andrews stood up and hugged us both. "I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Thank you sweetie." She said sweetly. "It's just hard to believe that my baby is gone. Kiara, have you talked to Zana?"

Kiara shook her head no, placing her shades on her head. "She won't answer any of my calls."

"She hasn't left her room in days. She's in shock. Could you go up and talk to her, maybe you can get to her." She asked Kiara.

Kiara let go of my hand, and walked to the stairs. She had been acting funny for the last couple of days, and I didn't understand why. I seen Chris over by the stairs and made my way over. I knew how he felt about Carson, but he still came to show his respects.

"What's up man?" I asked him.

"Nothing much, Zana's been avoiding me since her brothers death. That shit is crazy. I can't believe someone took his life." Chris said leaning on the wall.

I stood next to him. "Gossip runs through the hood, the person responsible will brag about the shit, and Carson's boys will get his ass." I knew this to be true. It didn't matter who it was, his goons would put a bounty on his head.

"I hope so." Chris said giving me dap before heading to the door, "tell Zana I said I'll see her later alright?"

I nodded, and went back into the room to talk with Trey and a few others from the hood. It was going to be some shit all because of one man's death.

****

Kiara

I knocked on Zana's bedroom door before I entered. Zana was lying on her bed facing the window. She made no sudden movement when I set on the bed next to her. I knew she was hurting, and all I wanted to do was comfort my friend at a time like this.

I rubbed her back, "hey girl, can we talk?"

Zana didn't say a word to me, she continued to stare out the window.

"Zana, please talk to me. Look, I know you are hurting, everyone's mourning Carson, but I need to know that you're  okay." I said. Still no answer from her. I crawled into bed and cuddled against her, throwing my arm around her. "I love you, you do know that right? And I'll be here for you forever. It hurt me too."

My arm became wet from her tears. Zana and Carson had always been so close, so the thought of losing her brother tore her heart to pieces. I knew that, I could feel that when I held her tightly. Zana and I fell asleep like that, and a little while later I was being tapped by Eric.

"Baby," he whispered in my ear. "It's time to go."

I quietly got out of bed, and walked to the door, closing it behind me. Eric took me by the hand, but I jerked my hand out of his grasp, and headed for the steps. The crowd of people were dying down, and I went over to Mr. And Mrs. Andrews and said my goodbyes. I walked to the car and got inside, not bothering to wait on Eric to open the door for me.