Ch 24

Zana

I was becoming hungry, and had to use the bathroom. Rick had been gone for about an hour.  I closed my eyes, thinking of ways to release myself from the ropes that were tied against my wrist.

"Damn him!" I screamed aloud.

I heard the front door open and close, and I stared at my bedroom door awaiting the monster I once called my man. Rick walked in smiling with a bag from Burger King. My mouth watered at the smell of cheeseburgers and fries inside the bag.

"I thought you would be hungry." He said opening up a cheeseburger and placing it to my mouth.

I rolled my eyes at him, taking a tiny bite to satisfy my hunger. "I have to pee."

Rick put down the bag, and undid the ties from my wrist. I massaged my wrist, and noticed they had been tied to tight, and there were red marks forming. He pulled out his gun, and pointed it at the bathroom. "You have five minutes to use the bathroom Zana, no funny business."

I quickly went to the bathroom. I used it, and washed my hands staring at myself in my mirror. I had to figure out a way out of this. Would he really kill me if I tried to run? I had seen Kiara's face, and I knew he probably would. I wanted to break down and cry, but I just couldn't I had to fight to stay alive.

Rick knocked at the bathroom door, "I told you five minutes Zana!"

"Coming!"

I opened the door and set on the bed. Rick held the ropes up and I knew I had to do what he wanted in order to keep his temper under control. I placed my hands on to the bed post, and he tied them nice and snug.

"I'm only doing this because I love you. Now I need you to make a call to Kiara. I need you to lure her some place alright."

I nodded and he placed the phone to my ear. I waited until Kiara picked up the phone. That's when it hit me; our hiding place. Growing up Kiara's father was an abusive lunatic that use to beat and rape her while her mother watched. She would run away to my parents shed in our backyard. Kiara and I use to use codes to let me know that her father was hurting her.

"Hello?" Kiara answered.

"Hey," my voice was shaky, I knew I had to keep calm so Rick wouldn't suspect anything. "I need to see you."

"Really?" Kiara sounded excited. "I really want to talk to you and apologize."

"Yeah...yeah. Remember the back of my house?" I asked her trying to speak in code.

Kiara was silent, I guess she had to put two and two together, "when my daddy use to do those things to me? What about it Zana?"

"Could you meet me there?" I looked up at Rick and he nodded and smiled. He mouthed the time 10pm. "Umm ten sound fine?"

Kiara was once again silent. Then finally, it hit her, "10:4?" She used our code, which meant she knew that it was dangerous to even go over there.

"Yeah 10:4." I exhaled a breath of relief. "And Ki, I do love you okay?"

"I love you too Zana. I'll see you then." Kiara hung up the phone.

I knew Kiara wasn't going to show, but I hoped that she knew I was in danger.

Rick disconnected the call, and placed the phone back into his pocket. He stood to his feet and clasped his hands together. "Good job baby! I'll be back in a while."

I watched him walk out the door, and heard the front door slam once again. I just hoped that Kiara was far way from Rick's crazy ass.

             *****

Chris

"Good evening Ms. Sara." I spoke to Zana's assistant when she looked up at me and smiled. Ms. Sara was the sweetest lady I had ever met. I watched her place her glasses back in her face and stand up to hug me.

"Mr. Damewood, aren't you a sight for sore eyes." She said hugging me tightly.

"Good to see you."

"And you as well. Are you looking for Ryan? He left a few hours ago." She said letting me go.

I shook my head no. "I'm actually looking for Tarzana. Is she in her office?" I looked at Zana's closed office door.

"No she's not. I haven't seen or heard from her. I've called her phone, and it goes straight to voicemail." Ms. Sara looked worried. She really cares about Zana. She treated her like her own child. "I'm worried about her, when that man came to the office a few times I knew Zana was frightened. Lord knows what that man is capable of."

"Thanks Ms. Sara, if you see her, please tell her to call me." I waved my goodbyes and headed for the exit.

That wasn't like Zana to not show up at work. I decided that I needed to go by her place, and get to the bottom of what Vanessa had told me.