Ch 60

One week later...

The rain was pouring as everyone filled the church to capacity. It seemed that she was near and dear to everyone who had attended. Everyone was dressed in black, with tears falling from each one of their eyes. Chris was trying to be strong, but he had broke down and didn't care about anyone thinking that he was weak. She meant everything to him, and he felt that it was his fault that she was dead. Chris tried to focus on the the sad and depressing Church music.

People walked over to Chris throughout the funeral, shaking his hand or giving him their condolences.  Eric stood behind him, along side Kiara watching the choir singing her favorite songs. Mr. Damewood stood next to his sons trying to hold it together.

"Jason Damewood, please come on up, I know that you have a lot to say child." Pastor Jenkins said. Jason looked over at his brother, and quickly made his way on to the stage. He looked around the church at all the faces that he knew, and didn't know. Jason felt like running away from it all, but he had to get somethings off his chest. He had cried for days knowing that she wasn't coming back.

"She was a vibrant soul, one who literally lit up the room whenever she entered. And right up until she became less able to get around, Mom was full of joy and always eager to help out, no matter what the problem was." Jason began feeling the warm tears began to fall from his eyes. He wanted Carson there with him to keep him strong, but their relationship was deteriorating and he didn't understand why. He cleared his throat feeling a knot form in his throat, but he  continued.

Being a mother of two boisterous boys—me and Chris, as well as dad, Mom had a hard time juggling the demands of us all, but she never complained at her unenviable task, nor did she ever turn anyone away, be it family, friends or local faces, wanting to stop by the house for a quick chat."

Jason looked down at the casket, feeling his heart breaking all over again. When he had heard that Chris accidentally shot their mother, trying to pry the gun from her hands he lost it. "Mom had an inherent love of music—in particular, the music of Elvis Presley, and she’d always find time to put one of the King’s hits on the stereo whenever she could. Much to Dad’s never-ending frustration, I might add! Her favorite tune was “Blue Hawaii”, a song that became synonymous with the King’s movies, and one which she first heard when she was flying with her family, in the early 1960s. In fact, it was while flying to India that she bumped into her future husband, who was cooling in an airport departure lounge, waiting to return home from army service."

Chris walked up to the alter to stand by his brothers side. Though they had their differences, they were still family at the end of the day.

Jason felt Chris's arm around his shoulder trying his hardest to keep his brother strong while giving the eulogy of his mother, he added, "Mom would always talk about those days as if they only happened yesterday, when the pair of them would take off in Dad’s car for some wild adventure, without the burden of two boys fighting in the back seat! I love you, we love you mom and I know that one day soon we will all be reunited as one."

The audience clapped, and gathered to approach the alter to say their last goodbyes to Meredith Damewood.  Chris followed Jason out of the church to try talking to him.

"Wait Jason!"

Jason turned around with fire in his eyes. "When I see that bitch of yours, I'm going to kill her! Tell her she better stay away, and when I do kill her I hope Zana rots in hell!" Jason walked away leaving Chris dumbfounded.

Kiara and Eric walked up to Chris feeling a little confused. "What's going on?" Kiara asked.

Chris rubbed his hands over his head. "Jason's just mourning right now, he'll get over it."

"I hope so, because if he even thinks about touching Zana, I'll kill him myself." Kiara stated. She meant every word, and the two men knew it as well.

"Let's get out of here." Eric said to the pair.

*****

Zana

I had been hiding out at my old apartment with Carson for a few days. I didn't want to be alone. The memories of Mrs. Damewood taking her last breath caused me to faint, and the thought just wouldn't leave my mind.

"Are you ready to talk about it?" Carson said sitting next to me on the sofa.

I shook my head no, and focused on the television.

A knock on the door shook me from my fog. Carson looked at me, and pointed to the closet next to the door. I quickly ran to the closet shutting myself inside. Nobody but Chris knew where I was, and he usually called to tell me he was stopping by.

I could see through the crack in the door Carson grabbing his gun from the cabinet. He walked to the door and swung it open pointing his gun in someone's face.

"Nigga you was just about to die." Carson said placing the gun at his side.

I seen that it was Jason. He must've left the funeral and came over to see Carson. "I need to talk with you." Jason said walking past Carson and into the apartment.

"About what? I told you I needed some space to get my shit together."

Jason broke down with tears. "I just lost my mama, and that's all you can say to me? You need space? I needed you Carson!"

"Man, I'm sorry about your mom, but I just got out of rehab. I'm still a little fucked up Jason." He admitted.

"Your sister is the reason my mama is dead! And when I see that bitch she's dead."

I could see Carson's whole mood change. He walked a little closer to Jason. "What did you say?" He had this look on his face that said not to fuck with him, and I guess Jason didn't get the hint.

"You heard what the hell I said! I'm tired of everyone trying to protect Zana, she's the one who needs to be six feet under. Remember when we had planned to kill her?"

"Nigga I was high! I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. Zana is my fucking sister, and if anyone fucks with her, I'll go crazy."

Jason crossed his arms over his chest, standing eye to eye with Carson. "well I guess you'll be going crazy soon, because the bitch is going to die, mark my fucking words!"

Carson lifted the gun and aimed it at Jason. "Tell your mama fuck you!" Carson pulled the trigger three times, splattering Jason's brains all over the place. I covered my mouth trying not to scream. I watched Jason's body fall back on my couch.

Carson ran to the closet and pulled me out. "Call Trey and tell him that we need a clean up asap."

(I guess I could end it here lol. 😜)