Ch 55

Zana

All I felt was my heart breaking every time I stepped on the elevator of the hospital. My fingers pause before pressing the number nine, thinking maybe this was going to be my last time seeing her alive.

"Miss, are you going to press a button?" An elderly lady asked me interrupting my thoughts of Kiara.

"Huh?"

"Are you going to press a button?"

"Oh, I'm sorry miss." I pressed the number nine, and waited for the doors to reopen. This had been my life everyday for the last month. Visiting Kiara everyday became a struggle each and everyday. Just seeing her lying in that bed, watching her body go through so much, from the I.V's, and the chemotherapy, I knew she was fighting to stay alive.

When I first heard that she had cancer, it broke me down. Then her doctor also stated that she had a stroke, and seizure activity before she went into a comma. Kiara was a fighter, and I knew she was fighting to be with Ella.

The elevator door opened, and I stepped off. I had been here every day for the past month, but it kept getting harder. I walked down the long hallway, bracing myself to see Kiara the way she was. I stopped in front of her door and took a deep breath before pushing the door open.

I walked in and set next to her bed. I listened to the monitor beep, that was the only noise I could focus on. I took Kiara's hand in mine and said a quiet prayer. She needed it, and I needed her. I wished I could take her pain away.

"You're back again Zana?" Doctor Anderson walked in noticing I was there once again.

"Yeah, is she doing any better?" I asked him. I was holding on to any possible hope at this point.

"Finding her the right Chemo treatment was kind of hard, but we got the right one for her. She'll be fine, I promise you." Dr. Anderson said. "Now, I need you to go and take care of you Zana. You've been here everyday and for hours."

"I know doctor Anderson, but she's been through so much, and I blame myself for not being here when she needed me most."

Doctor Anderson walked over to me placing his hand on my back, "how will you take care of her when you can't take care of yourself? You told me you just got married, correct?"

I nodded.

"Then go home and spend some time with your husband. Take a day or two with him, Kiara will be alright. She'll be here when you're ready to come see her."

"But what if she...?" There I go again thinking the worst.

"Zana, go home, or I'll get security to escort you out." Doctor Anderson said pointing to the door.

I sighed, and got up to leave, "I'll go, but if there's any changes please call me."

He smiled, "you know I will, now get!"

I left the room and headed home to be with Chris.

After Kiara's mother killed her husband, we found Ella in the hall closet with her mouth taped. I didn't think a second thought about taking that little girl with me until her mother was better. Tonya, on the other hand, thought  that Ella should be in her care. I didn't think that was a  good idea, seeing as though she was all for her father who had kidnapped her. Kiara's mother was sent to jail and is awaiting trial a few months from now.

Chris wasn't home, and I knew he was prepping for the dinner we had planned for both of our parents. Nobody knew we had been married a month, and I couldn't wait to see their faces when I throw it in their faces. I set in the car, going through pictures of Kiara and I on my phone.