Ch 20

Zana

I looked up from the piles of papers that was scattered across my desk. I glanced at the digital clock on the wall, and realized it was almost noon and my parents still hadn't called me about any updates about Carson.

"Knock knock." Ms. Sara tapped lightly on the open door.

I smiled at her and waved her over, "how may I help you?"

"Well, I noticed that you weren't all there at the morning meeting with Ryan. Are you alright dear?" Ms. Sara asked with concern. She was like a motherly figure within the office, and had taken a liking to me the first day that I met her.

I nodded, "I'm alright."

"I've been working with you closely for many years now, you can tell me if something is bothering you. Is it that boy?"

"No not this time Ms. Sara."

She half nodded at me, and adjusted her glasses on her nose, and changed the subject. "I'm heading to lunch, would you like anything "

"No thank you." My cell phone rang from my purse, and I hurried to pick it up. Sara had exited my office, and I picked up. "Hey daddy."

"Hey baby girl, bad news." He began. I could hear loud voices in the background, and mama yelling. "Carson is being held without bail until his next court date. From what I'm hearing it doesn't look good for him. His lawyer is saying he may be looking at three to five."

"Hell no, what the hell is going on?" I asked him.

"We'll just have to pray that this lawyer does what he has to do. Your mama over here with Vanessa, she had a nervous breakdown."

"Why is she there?"

Daddy sighed into the phone, "she is engaged to Carson and is having his baby."

I felt in my heart that something wasn't right with that girl. I didn't think Vanessa was sincerely their for my brother.

"Zana?" Daddy interrupted my thoughts, "we need to pull together for Carson's sake. Leave this girl alone , this is what Carson wants, you hear me?"

I rolled my eyes, "yes daddy. I'll talk to you later on." I hung up the phone and grabbed my bag. I needed to get out of the office before I had a mental breakdown. I decided to drive to my favorite cafe, La'Cupcake located downtown. When I arrived there was already a line formed but I stood in line anyway.

"Tarzana Andrews?"

I turned around to the familiar voice, and was approached by Eric. I smiled at him, and gave him a side hug. "Hey you! How have you been?"

"You know me, I'm always working. Sorry to hear about your breakup." Eric said. He stood beside me in the line.

I shrugged, "he's with Kiara now. I've moved on. I just wish he would leave me alone now."

"He'll get the memo soon enough. Have you spoken to Kiara?"

"Nope." And to be honest I didn't plan to. I still couldn't believe how low down that girl was, but I wasn't about to mention anything to Eric, being Rick's friend, I knew he had already known.

I ordered my food, and found a seat by the window. Eric walked over and set across from me. He was silent as if he was trying to read me. I sipped my drink looking out at the people that passed by.

"Kiara misses you." He finally said.

I was confused, why the hell were they even discussing me. "So what?"

"Don't be like that Zana."

I sighed, "look Eric, I don't know what your intentions is right now, but I have nothing else to say about Rick and especially not about Kiara." I stood to my feet to leave, "I'll just take my food to go, have a nice day." I grabbed my food and headed for the door.

****

Rick

I watched Zana and Eric from the window of a cafe from my car. I knew that Eric was acting funny, and I see why. He was trying to get with Zana. He had mentioned a few weeks back that Zana was seeing another man, and I see that man was him.

I gripped the steering wheel so hard that my knuckles turned white. Furious with the both of them, I started up my engine and followed Zana to her next destination. I couldn't believe that she was fucking my homeboy behind my back. I grabbed the gun from the glove compartment and set it on my lap.

"She really trying to play me?" I asked aloud turning left behind Zana's brother's car. I followed her a little while, staying at least two cars back. I was determined to find out where she lived, and if she was sleeping with Eric.

A few minutes later, Zana pulled up to a building, and parked right out front. I parked a block away, and jogged toward the apartments. I went inside, and to the front desk.

A white woman with red hair looked up and smiled giving me a look over. I knew she liked what she seen, "may I help you?"

"I'm looking for Tarzana Andrews apartment." I leaned over the desk trying my hardest to flirt with her.

She smiled showing off her gold grill. "I'm sorry sir, but I cannot give you anyone's apartment number unless authorized to do so."

I pleaded with my eyes. "I'm just trying to surprise my sister, I've been away for awhile, and thought I'd surprise her." I lied.

She was hesitant, and looked as if she was thinking about it. I decided to sweetened the deal and reached in my pocket to pull out a fifty dollar bill. Red head smiled, snatching the money and slipping it into her uniform pocket.

"She's in apartment B3." She said looking around making sure that nobody was paying us any attention.

I smiled wide. I had her where I needed her now. Apartment B3, I kept repeating in my head. Now I would wait for the perfect time to get my woman back, and to figure out how long she had been seeing Eric. The thought of the two of them made me even more furious. I couldn't wait to see the look on her face when she sees me.